The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-20-2016, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

Default New Classical Guitar

I know that you classical players have exacting standards and that it is not very often that you face a sea-change in choice of instrument. However, if you'll go to the carbon fiber site on this forum and look at the Dlutowski thread you will see and hear what I think is a major advance in the development of classical guitars. In particular, listen to the link that shows Enrique Bermudez at work.

If you've already discussed the guitar and the player, forgive me for taking your time. It was new to me and I find it exciting.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:20 PM

Very interesting

I've always wondered why the classical has never adopted
Other building materials that just might forever solve
Some of the humidity issues.

I've tried a cf (blackbird?) attempt at a nylon and the tone
Sounded rather artificial to what the typical classical player
Looks for in terms of a tonal palette

Regards
Steve
Old 06-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Guest 928

Steve;

I suspect that the classical guitar is very difficult to change. Five hundred years of development have brought us an incredible instrument and to change its medium is a daunting task. The videos brought to the CF site on this forum suggest that the task may be accomplished. Interesting stuff.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:03 PM

i listened to the two youtube videos...sorry, but i thought the CF classicals' tone was 'plastic-sounding' (no pun intended)...didnt sound as good to these ears as wooden classical guitars.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:29 PM

If that is the sound one wants or likes, go for it.

It isn't the sound I want or like. If one is kind, one can say the sound is "different".

There are two general approaches. The first is to say, "I want this sound", and then try to build something that produces "that" sound. The second is to say, "I want to use this material", and then try to build a "successful" instrument out of this material. I think they have done the latter. They aren't the first to use "alternate" materials. Many others have used "alternate" approaches to produce a specific sound.

As soon as amplification is involved, it's a whole other ball game.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janepaints View Post
i listened to the two youtube videos...sorry, but i thought the CF classicals' tone was 'plastic-sounding' (no pun intended)...didnt sound as good to these ears as wooden classical guitars.
With one exception, that was what I heard too.

hunter
Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 PM
Guest 928

zh;

I appreciate your openness to the possibility of a new medium in the construction of CF guitars. If you cruise through the CF site on this forum you will find an incredible number of Martin and Taylor owners who have opened up to a new medium. I believe that the classical guitar folks will be the hardest to convince that a new medium can equal or better Wood.

I am not a classical player, but my roots are based on Montoya and Segovia, and the marvelous wooden guitars that have been produced in the 500 years of guitar development. I am a hybrid player, but I look for the tonal and projection qualities in a guitar; and it looks to me like Madrid has protected the past and moved into the future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical