The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 AM

Default adding pickup to Epi Masterbilt DR-500m

I have a Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500m, but it doesn't have electrics on it. Has anyone had experience adding a pickup to this for amplification? I have one of those pickups that you temporarily put in the sound hole, and I imagine a permanent pickup is a better solution for amplification.

I love the tone of this guitar. I've found more expensive guitars with similar woods that don't sound as nice, so while the option of upgrading this for one with electrics in it is on the table, it seems sort of wasteful for a lot of reasons.

Thoughts? (thanks!)
Old 04-19-2017, 01:55 PM

I had a Masterbilt AJ-500M and I'm sure you can add any pickup to it that you please, but I would recommend doing research on the different pickups made by Fishman, LR Baggs, K&K, and so on to determine what you prefer.

I put a JJB Prestige 330 (which is similar to the K&K Mini) in my Masterbilt and liked it ok. I currently use a Baggs LB6 and Pickup the World's #54 and rather like both of those.

There is a near infinite number of pickups from piezo based under-saddle or soundboard transducers, to clip-in magnetic pickups, to microphone based systems. Determining how much you're willing to alter your guitar is a good place to start and then look at the pickups that fall within that.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
advice, amplification, epiphone dr-500m, pickup