The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2017, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbirdog View Post
Thanks so much Glenn for the information, probably going to get the new version of the Stroboclip. You wouldn't happen to have any recommendations on where to find it Amazon maybe ? I think it's called the Stroboclip HD
I don't find where the Peterson Stroboclip HD is available for sale yet. It may take a month or two for them to filter down to the retailers. Amazon will have a good price, so will Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, American Musical Supply, Elderly Instruments, etc.

So we may be a little premature on the HD version.

- Glenn
Old 04-15-2017, 02:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I've bought a bunch of tuners, including a few Snarks. I have a Stroboclip and a Polytune Clip.

The Stroboclip is without a doubt a very fine and accurate tuner, but I found the display too jumpy for me to be confident that I was at the exact right pitch.

The Polytune Clip is (to me) the best I've found. It's the only one I'm using now. It seems to be highly accurate, and the display is easy to read and easy to use. It's unobtrusive and works on both the front and back of the headstock.
Amen to all of that, my experience precisely.
I'd add that the Polytune is quicker in use than the Stroboclip - an important consideration in front of an audience who have no interest in waiting for what seems an interminable time while the performer faffs and fiddles around with a tuner that won't stop strobing.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-15-2017, 03:19 AM
Charter Member

Serious Question :

Why no mention of the D'addario/Planet Waves tuners ?

I have one of these PWCT-12 - NS (reference number larger than the tuner!)

(Sorry I couldn't use the D'addario video as I can't stand the guy with the silly hair)

Personally, I have no need for a metronome nor variable calibration rates, but as a straight forward tuner, that I can use in most lights - it works for me.

If I could suggest an improvement it would be to make the actual clip transparent so it doesn't block out the brand/logo.

So, serious question are these not regarded by youse guys?
Old 04-15-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Serious Question :

(Sorry I couldn't use the D'addario video as I can't stand the guy with the silly hair)

Personally, I have no need for a metronome nor variable calibration rates, but as a straight forward tuner, that I can use in most lights - it works for me.

If I could suggest an improvement it would be to make the actual clip transparent so it doesn't block out the brand/logo.

I use one of these, and it does exactly what I need it to do.

Most of the time when I'm gigging I'll be running into my pedalboard, so into a Polytune 2 Mini, but for when I am at a session I have one of these because it's tiny, and does the job.

I use the tuner to get ballpark in tune, and then turn it off and tweak by ear to compensate for my own finger pressure and pick attack (IMO you should do this, regardless of what tuner you use).
Old 04-15-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
My favorite clip-on tuner is the Fishman FT2. I find it to be quite accurate, and I LOVE the design (no buttons - it turns on when you flip it up!). At just $11, it's quite painless to have more than one.

Oh, speaking of Snark, my absolute favorite tuner is the Snark pedal tuner. Outstanding, and just $35.

There was another headstock tuner thread last week and several people named their favorite tuner. My Snark has become finicky and so my wife & I each bought a different new tuner to see what we may like best.

I got the D'Addario Planet Waves Micro tuner. Meh. Tiny and works okay, perhaps marginally better than the Snark.

My wife bought the aforementioned FT2, and IMO, it is superior to the Snark in every possible way. Reacts a little slower, but FAR more precise and easy to read. Seems very sturdy and I like the fold down/up to turn off/on feature. Best tuner for the money I have seen.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-15-2017, 09:16 AM

The Polytune is my go to tuner. I never worry about breaking it.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:33 AM

I now use the Snark HZ-1, smaller and sturdier than the original Snark (of which we have a few hanging around). Works fine and fast for live applications, which is where I need it most.

I had a Peterson Strobo-Clip. Like many, I found it to be a PITA to use. It sat in a drawer for a year before someone on a forum expressed an interest in buying it, which I was happy to accommodate.

Tuners? Yeah, I've tried a few others...

Old 04-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
I've bought a bunch of tuners, including a few Snarks. I have a Stroboclip and a Polytune Clip.

The Stroboclip is without a doubt a very fine and accurate tuner, but I found the display too jumpy for me to be confident that I was at the exact right pitch.

The Polytune Clip is (to me) the best I've found. It's the only one I'm using now. It seems to be highly accurate, and the display is easy to read and easy to use. It's unobtrusive and works on both the front and back of the headstock.
My use is primarily at home, and the stroboclip is fantastic for that. I don't have any issue with the display being jumpy; I think it's smooth and extremely fast in tracking the signal. My guitars seem to have a very stable signal, maybe that's part of why the tuner works so well for me.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 04-15-2017, 09:49 AM

I think Snarks are ugly and overrated. Personally I use my phone or I use
this one
smaller and sleeker is better IMO

https://www.woodbrass.com/es-es/acce..._u8aApON8P8HAQ
Old 04-15-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Serious Question :

Hi SM,

I just bought one. I am generally happy with it and prefer it to my Snark (mostly because of the diminutive and unobtrusive size). It seems to be as or more accurate as the Snarks). The size can also be a slight detriment for my aging eyes, depending on the lighting.

I have been a Snark user for 5 years, but have become somewhat disenchanted with them.

My wife bought a Fishman FT2 at the same time that I bought the PW Micro Tuner. IMO, it is far superior in accuracy but slower to respond. If you have never tried one you may want to give them a shot.

FWIW, I know nothing of the $50 tuners, as I'm more of a 10 buck tuner kinda guy.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 04-15-2017, 11:02 AM

No one has mentioned what I love most about the Polytune, the fact that you strum the open strings and see at once which ones need attention. Don't you guys like that?
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 04-15-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
My favorite clip-on tuner is the Fishman FT2. I find it to be quite accurate, and I LOVE the design (no buttons - it turns on when you flip it up!). At just $11, it's quite painless to have more than one.

Oh, speaking of Snark, my absolute favorite tuner is the Snark pedal tuner. Outstanding, and just $35.

Amazon shows the FT-2 for $6.99 w/free shipping. I bought 2.

Not tryin' to brag, or nuthin', but I own a guitar.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Strobo-Clips have their die-hard fans and their detractors. I suspect one thing that puts people in the former category is a desire for the sweetened tunings the tuner offers.

I have one somewhere and have never bonded with it. When I want greater precision than my D'Addario sound hole tuner can provide (which is rarely), I opt for my Turbo Tuner. That thing is fantastic and also has sweetened tunings, although I never use any of them. For me, the sound hole tuner discretely and accurately gets the job done and is the most convenient tuner to use that I've ever owned, and I've owned plenty. I keep buying more of them so that I don't have to swap them across instruments (which frequently results in a drop into the guitar body).

Snarks were a fantastic value when they first appeared. But the tech keeps getting better. They're still fine for lots of stuff but that ball-and-socket joint does fail on a lot of them. And there are now smaller, easier to read, and more convenient options for roughly the same price. So the ones I bought a few years ago are yesterday's news. I have no motivation to buy newer ones because I really prefer the sound hole positioning over the headstock. Much easier to see and it doesn't look like a mutant growth on the guitar.

But everybody will find their own favorite and for many it's the Strobo Clip. They do their job, to be sure. But I don't need most of what they do and I wish I'd spent the money elsewhere in retrospect.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I have no motivation to buy newer ones because I really prefer the sound hole positioning over the headstock. Much easier to see and it doesn't look like a mutant growth on the guitar.
This brings up a side issue.

How many of you leave the tuner on your guitar?

I agree with the mutant growth comment above.

I saw a photo of myself playing at a concert several years back and found the headstock tuner ruined the photo. I didn't leave them on often even in those days. I NEVER leave them on now!

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-15-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Edited...
Old 04-15-2017, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

I never leave my tuner on the headstock - hate to see that. One second to clip it on, one second to remove it - what point is there in leaving it on? If you're not actually tuning, there's no reason to have it on the guitar. Likewise capos.

Usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 04-16-2017 at 10:27 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification