The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-03-2017, 10:40 PM

Default New Cargo Issue Continued

Turns out the odd "wolf" note I thought was just on the open high E is not limited
to that string only. It is the high E note that sounds off almost anywhere it's played. What to do?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:49 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
Turns out the odd "wolf" note I thought was just on the open high E is not limited
to that string only. It is the high E note that sounds off almost anywhere it's played. What to do?
The replies you've received to date suggested that the nut is likely the problem and that you should contact where you bought it (not the set up guy unless they're one in the same). I haven't read that you've done either. Therefore, recommendations from AGFers will likely remain the same.

I have my '08 Cargo RT in my hands right now. Just out a new set of Elixir Nano PB lights on it. Sounds great. In fact, just a few minutes ago I was thinking yet again, how great this l'il guitar sounds. After going on 9 years with it, it's still a keeper.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 PM

Tom,
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately I bought it for a song from a dealer out of town that is really not a guitar dealer but sells alot of Peavey electronic stuff.
I understood the possibility of a nut issue when I thought the problem was limited to the open E string which is still the biggest issue but as I said I can hear a difference on most E notes fretted elsewhere. What sort of nut issue are responses referring too?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Hi Steve,

It seems that a slot, or slots are not cut correctly. As rick-slo said, it/they are cut too low or poorly ramped. Since these nuts would be mass produced, it seems strange that yours would be any different from the many that are likely ok, but it is possible and the likely cause based on your descriptions. If you contact Peavey, likely they will send you a replacement nut. Even if there would be a cost, it wouldn't be much. Once you get this guitar dialed-in, it should be great. Mine is and hasn't changed from being nicely set up in almost 9 years.

Edit: I don't know if others will agree, but here's something you may want to try.....

Loosen the particular string(s) and remove from the slot(s). Shave some pencil lead to a powder and insert into the slot(s). Work the loosened string around a bit when reinserted into the slot, then tune to pitch. Tug on the string some more, then tune again. Worth a try.

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-03-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:40 PM

I lube the nut slots with pencil lead (graphite) from a 0.5 mm mechanical pencil. If the string is actually binding in the nut slot, that should help and costs virtually nothing to try. However, the string should rest on the forward edge of the slot and if the slot is not ramped properly or is cut too low, it is time to invest in a new nut / set up. It is possible to fill in the slot with some CA glue or a slurry of glue and bone dust, and similar tricks.

Another thing to try is tying a rag around the strings - or weaving something between them - above the nut to verify that you aren't getting some sympathetic ringing from the string between the nut and the peg.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:41 AM

It's the nut.
Try wrapping the string where it sets in the nut with a business card sliver and see if that makes it go away. Don't allow the sliver to hang over into the first fret space. Keep it behind the gear post side.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 01-04-2017, 09:10 AM

If the note wolfs when fretted (as the OP plainly states) it's NOT the nut.

It sounds like a simple issue of a note response issue caused from body resonance.

My suggestion is to use an electronic tuner to adjust tuning the entire instrument 1/4 semitone higher or lower (to shift E notes outside that resonant point) and re-check it. The tuning can be shifted up or down, doesn't really matter.

If the annoying resonance of the E note goes away then contact the manufacturer and inquire as to the proper way to address it.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:55 PM

Default Cargo Issue

Peavey told me to sent it back for them to examine.
Hope they come up with a solution. Said they would replace it it necessary.
Cost me $133 to return UPS ground!
Will keep you posted.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:59 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Peavey told me to sent it back for them to examine.
Hope they come up with a solution. Said they would replace it it necessary.
Cost me $133 to return UPS ground!
Will keep you posted.
Well, you really can't hope for better than that. Good on 'em! Hope it works out real well for you.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:55 PM

Default Resonant feequencies

New to this forum, unfortunately just saw this post. I've had this same issue on three different instruments, two bass guitars and one of my Chapman Sticks. In each case a certain note played even at different octaves would create some odd noise. All of them were related to hitting a resonant frequency of something either loose, or as in the case with the Stick, a component was securely fastened but binded in such a manner that it was not seated flat. That resulted in the part vibrating at the resonant frequency. My solution was to disassemble the part and re-assemble so that everything is seated properly.

The trick is to actually find what part is making the noise. A loose component is an easy find,but something secure but not seated flat takes some effort. With the Stick it was the truss rod, where it fastened with two screws by the headstock. With one of my basses it was a detuning lever, the other was one of the volume knobs, inside the pickguard. The truss and the volume pot were easy fixes, by taking apart and reassembling. But the detuning lever I had to replace. A bit of sideplay in the lever, which was fastened down tight. Sometimes certain parts will bind on threads of the fasteners and not seat properly.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:56 PM

Smile New Cargo Issues Continues..and gets good.

I have been dealing Chris at Composite Acoustics/Peavey with my issue and want to report that they are a pleasure to deal with and going to take care of me big time. After examining the Cargo I sent back to them with the "wolf" note the CA Luthier was puzzled but verified my issue and decided to sent me a new guitar.
I'm very pleased.
Steve
Old 02-02-2017, 07:36 PM

Have you tried putting a little, tiny, piece of thin paper in the nut slot, under the string?

Not as a fix, except very temporary, but a way to see if the nut slot is the problem.

P.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
.....Composite Acoustics/Peavey .....decided to sent me a new guitar. I'm very pleased.
Wonderful outcome! Congrats.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I have been dealing Chris at Composite Acoustics/Peavey with my issue and want to report that they are a pleasure to deal with and going to take care of me big time. After examining the Cargo I sent back to them with the "wolf" note the CA Luthier was puzzled but verified my issue and decided to sent me a new guitar.
I'm very pleased.
Steve
That's great news! So nice to see a company make good and stand by their product. When you get it, please let us know what you think of it.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I'm glad to hear it worked out, Steve. Always good when customer service comes through...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber