The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 PM

Default Garageband questions

I am fooling around with garageband, and it really is cool! I am using the built in mic on the computer. My partner feels the recording is not doing my voice justice (how very kind). And my guitar sounds better on the zoom recorder. Are the computer mics not good quality?

Also, what effects do you play with for the guitar? I put it on natural.

What is going to be the simplest but highest quality set up so that I can record guitar and vocals? Cost is no issue. But quality and simplicity.

Thanks for your help!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 01-04-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 PM

I have been pondering this recently, a good but easy to use interface for a stereo pair of mics, and at this point I find the Sound Devices USBPre-2 to be the best solution (for me, anyway). I have not purchased it yet as it is not a priority for me, at the moment.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
What is going to be the simplest but highest quality set up so that I can record guitar and vocals? Cost is no issue. But quality and simplicity.
Cost a non-issue?

A pair of Schoeps CMC641 mics for your acoustic guitar.
Neumann U87 mic for vocals
Apogee Quartet or Ensemble for an interface

I'm sure others would like to suggest their thoughts on highest quality rig if the sky was the limit.

Dont forget a pair of monitors like the Adam A8x, a headphone like an Ultrasone and some room treatment.

Last edited by Sage97; 01-04-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 PM

$4k on a Neuman mic is excessive. I am not a professional, but believe I can get a simple set up with my Mac within a reasonable budget for an amateur just starting out. And even get a great result.

Does that make sense? Thanks for the suggestion though...

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 PM

I'd suggest the Apogée MiC. Plug and play. Great results.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
$4k on a Neuman mic is excessive. I am not a professional, but believe I can get a simple set up with my Mac within a reasonable budget for an amateur just starting out. And even get a great result.

Does that make sense? Thanks for the suggestion though...
My apologies. I got carried away with the cost no issue statement. I enjoy spending other folks money.

The Rode NTK for vocals is good enough for me. If you want something in a higher price range, I also like the Neumann tlm 103 but I think there are more options in this range.
Gefell M300s are adequate for my acoustic guitars. There are some great reviews on ADK A6s. I think the soundclips at dreamguitars are done with the A6s.
For interface, Apogee works great with Macs. The Duet should be a great option but there are others as well.

Again, don't forget monitors, headphones and some room arrangements.

Last edited by Sage97; 01-04-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM

Mics? I have a pair of Audio Technic AT4021 small diaphragm condenser mics, but there are a lots of good choices available.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Lisa, the mics in a computer are ok for talking on skype, but very unlikely to be right for recording. The simplest thing you can add to record to garageband is a USB mic. The Apogee MiC is one, there are others, from cheaper to more expensive. Just plug into your USB port and you're done. The next step up would be a pair of condenser mics, and an interface that connects them to a computer. (The USB mics basically have the interface builtin). You can get an interface that has mic inputs and connects to the computer by USB or firewire. Interfaces start at around $100, and go up as high as you want. The Apogee Duet is a popular one for about $500. Then you need mics, and you can get usable ones starting at around $100, and again, going as high as you want.

As others are telling you, monitors are important, you can't tell if your recording is good unless you can hear it well. The better the monitors, the better you will be able adjust your mics, mix, and generally hear what's going on. Also, with better mics, you may start to pickup the sound of your room, which may not be good, so some acoustic treatment might be in order, if you are serious about getting a good sound.

A visit to the recording section of sweetwater.com should give you many hours of browsing for all the different recording gear.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 AM

Thank you all so much. This newbie gets it. Sounds like an interface and a mic will do the trick.

Doug, one question. What do you mean by "acoustic treamtment?"

Also, as my Shorty does not have electronics, do any of you feel I can still get a good quality recording with microphones? And do you think I need one microphone for the guitar and one for vocals? Also, can someone explain why some wear headphones during recording?

Thank you again, I am learning a lot.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I am fooling around with garageband, and it really is cool! I am using the built in mic on the computer. My partner feels the recording is not doing my voice justice (how very kind). And my guitar sounds better on the zoom recorder. Are the computer mics not good quality?

Also, what effects do you play with for the guitar? I put it on natural.

Thanks for your help!
I think this link is a good start... take a look, several options

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM

No question based on reviews and the high praises of Apogee, that if I go interface, the Duet is the clear winner. If I have read correctly the Apogee MiC does not go with the Duet...so many choices for mics, it's ridiculous!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No question based on reviews and the high praises of Apogee, that if I go interface, the Duet is the clear winner. If I have read correctly the Apogee MiC does not go with the Duet...so many choices for mics, it's ridiculous!
Right, the MiC is a self-contained thing. You can think of it as mic+interface, like having a "duet" inside the mic itself. But obviously there, there are compromises with sticking all the guts of a preamp and computer interface inside a tiny mic.

Basically for digital recording, you need:

mic -> preamp -> analog/digital converter -> computer interface -> computer/recorder

What makes it complicated is that different packages combine these things. You can actually buy each of these pieces separately (that's what I do), but it's very common to have the preamp/converter/interface all in one box (like the duet), or even all of them in the mic, like the Apogee MiC. Or even everything, (including the "computer"!) in a Zoom H4n, or similar.

On acoustic treatment, here's a decent primer of what it's all about:

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...tic-treatment/

Search for "acoustic treatment:" on google, and you'll find tons of stuff. You don't have to go overboard, but depending on your room, it may matter. Here's a demo from Fran Guidry on the difference a simple approach makes:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

Fran's HomeBrewMusic site is worth some browsing time
Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM

There are people who have the time, interest and experience to maximize their specialized recording gear. To them, I think the endless conversations about what gear sounds "better" make sense.

For the average hobbyist, the Apogée MiC is as much gear as needed.

I will be upgrading my gear soon -- but it will be out of anal retention rather than any real practical reason.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Right, the MiC is a self-contained thing. You can think of it as mic+interface, like having a "duet" inside the mic itself. But obviously there, there are compromises with sticking all the guts of a preamp and computer interface inside a tiny mic.

Basically for digital recording, you need:

mic -> preamp -> analog/digital converter -> computer interface -> computer/recorder

What makes it complicated is that different packages combine these things. You can actually buy each of these pieces separately (that's what I do), but it's very common to have the preamp/converter/interface all in one box (like the duet), or even all of them in the mic, like the Apogee MiC. Or even everything, (including the "computer"!) in a Zoom H4n, or similar.

On acoustic treatment, here's a decent primer of what it's all about:

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/...tic-treatment/

Search for "acoustic treatment:" on google, and you'll find tons of stuff. You don't have to go overboard, but depending on your room, it may matter. Here's a demo from Fran Guidry on the difference a simple approach makes:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

Fran's HomeBrewMusic site is worth some browsing time
Doug,

Your explanation that I highlighted in red is what I needed! Now I understand all of the components required, and also, that the Apogee miC has a built in preamp.

Thanks to all of you!!!!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Great topic!
'09 Taylor T3
'09 414ce Fall LTD
'10 GT-6
'11 GS-8

My Fenders:
'13 Fender/Roland GC-1 (Roland-Ready Fender Stratocaster)
...and an '82 Lead II that I just can't part with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD