The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-26-2017, 10:10 PM

bursts on OF660 will be limited or custom if we do it. will keep you posted in a few weeks.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
bursts on OF660 will be limited or custom if we do it. will keep you posted in a few weeks.
Rob, I'm loving the Road Trip CF! I'm calling it a home run in any color!!

Old 01-31-2017, 06:36 PM

Is there a strap button on or around the heel?

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:29 AM

Hey Matt. I think in the scramble to get these to the show the strap buttons were left off. We've reached out to Ted and he'll put them on.

FYI - this guitar feels and sounds awesome. We had some fingerstyle heavyweights drooling over this model - so look for some killer demo videos soon.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:02 AM

Out of curiosity, what are the differences between the OF660, and the RT660? Are they identical, other than the removable neck? If I have played an OF660, then should I expect the same with the RT660, as far as tone, feel, ergonomics, volume?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:18 AM

Based on Rob's video it has 13.5 inch lower bout whilst the OF660 is 12. So you would expect it to have a bigger sound.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
Based on Rob's video it has 13.5 inch lower bout whilst the OF660 is 12. So you would expect it to have a bigger sound.
The goal of the RT660 was to make a 36" touring style guitar with more volume than the OF660, balanced tone, and ultra-comfortable and just fun to play. The extra inch in lower bout really opens it up to compete more will larger guitars. We'll do some A/B recordings later in a few months.

The neck does detach but with a more traditional structure and it requires an allen wrench and more time. It's a bit lighter too because it's not loaded with the stainless steel hardware needed for the quick-release function of the OF660. The New RoadTrip carbon got a lot of attention at the show.

Take care,
Rob

Last edited by robailey; 02-11-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Hey Matt. I think in the scramble to get these to the show the strap buttons were left off. We've reached out to Ted and he'll put them on...
You know, I didn't even give the strap pin any thought. We sell a ton of Martins and they don't come with a strap pin installed. Be happy to pop them on.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
.....The neck does detach but with a more traditional structure and it requires an allen wrench and more time. It's a bit lighter too because it's not loaded with the stainless steel hardware needed for the quick-release function of the OF660.....
Interesting to know, Rob. I just want to point out that TSA might seize the Allen wrench when carrying on. They took my Taylor truss rod wrench once from my hard case at the security checkpoint.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 PM

Hi Earl49,

I'm glad you mentioned this. RT660 guitar isn't meant for carry-on. It's part of the RoadTrip series, primarily designed for the road - hence the series name.

The RT660 neck has a bolt-on neck that may be removed for packing the guitar in your check-in luggage if needed. So you'd put the allen wrench in the check-in luggage.

Roadtrip guitar is an awesome carbon guitar for guitarists who want a smaller guitar with a huge sound that's fun-to-play, crazy comfortable, weather-friendly, durable and yet small enough to take on the road without taking up too much room. As a bonus, if you're only getting on a plane once or twice a year, you can disassemble it and store it in your luggage.

If, however, you fly frequently or have a lot of luggage to deal with - the Overhead series (OF660, OF420, etc) is hands-down the way to go. Not only can you travel without conflict when there's competition for overhead space, you can confidently place your guitar in the dimension-check rack without any stress. The Overhead assembles in 20 seconds and you can start playing after 20 seconds or fine-tuning the strings.

Take care,

Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber