The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeb View Post
My soundclick.com account is 'peeb62". www.soundclick.com/peeb62

Following recorded on yeti:

1. Clean demo
2. M5 demo
3. Lullaby
4. When I Saw You
5. Have Yourself a Merry Little Xmas.

I'm happy with 'em.
BTW, #4 was a piece I wrote for my bride on our 25th Anniversary, and #5 was the very first thing I recorded when I took it out of the box when I got the mic for xmas 2011- it's just a one take wonder that turned out nice.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Zoom H1 is inexpensive and it can be used as a USB microphone directly into your computer. You don't need a microphone stand if you have a camera tripod, and you can even get those very cheaply if you need to purchase one. There's a shot of my Zoom H1 on a camera tripod if you use the link from the first post in the recent "New Recording Page" topic.
Hi Rudy...

I use camera tripods (18'' when packed down) because they are more maneuverable than a mic stand, and less intimidating to people when I'm recording. They pack down very small and are light when I'm hauling gear in/out of locations.

And they are cheap. I think I paid $10 for my last one that we haul in the RV. I see medium sized ones at Sam's or Walmart for $15-20. They get players out from behind the desk, and into the room where we need to be to get proper recordings.

These do not replace mic stands for live work, nor do they replace my Monfrotto when I do serious photography.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Mike...

My point is you must set it on 'something' like the computer desk, to get it up to the level of the guitar to record. What do you set a USB mic on to record?

Some will fit into conventional mic stands, but I still have not seen them with camera tripod sockets.

My experience is they don't sound optimum when set on a table or desk with the computer running right there with them, or TV tray or end table in front of me.

Larry, the Meteor has a standard thread to attach to a mic stand, which is how I've primarily used it. I have other recording setups I use that are better, but this little guy is pretty nice and really easy. Actually, Robin at Guitar Gallery turned me onto it as it's the mic they had been using to record their sound clips. Mike
Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
Larry, the Meteor has a standard thread to attach to a mic stand, which is how I've primarily used it.
Good to know Mike...

And one can always buy a generic spider type suspension mic holder which is sized appropriately to fit the barrel...

And I have ''all the above''.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM

Well, I decided to give the Zoom H4N a go, and have to say I am really impressed. My endorsement of the Samson Meteor still stands as it's an easy, inexpensive and decent USB mic, but what I've seen so far with the H4N is a huge improvement. Really an incredible device for less than $250. Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD