The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2006, 10:21 AM

Default Nylon string changes

I need a better understanding of what's going on.
I changed the strings on my NS_54 Ce for the first time and I have never heard a guitar make so much noise. There was so much creaking that I was afraid to turn the tuners. Since I never had this problem with my 710, will this be an on going thing with the NS 54. I changed one string at a time, is this Ok to do?

Thanks

RONB
Old 04-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

I have two Larrivee nylon classicals, and I follow the Taylor method to the "T" for nylon string changes, and I have not had any problems or too much noise. Maybe check your neck to make sure it is tight and well adjusted.

I found the string change help under a wood and steel old issue or under their tech section.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:50 PM

I had Taylor NS couple of years, but I never had the changing strings problem like you described.
I still have another 3 nylon string guitars, and all normal when changed the strings. So obviously your NS is not in normal condition, I would suggest you to take it to the luthier or at least to guitar shop before the problem becomes severe (Creaking noise!, was it at the tuners or at the body or where else?)
Old 04-14-2006, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the reply. All the noise is from the top. With every turn of the tuners I was waiting for the guitar to explode. I just didn't know if this was normal for a cedar top.
I will have to make a trip back to the shop and have it checked.

Thanks again

Ron
Old 04-14-2006, 09:09 AM

I'm sure it's not the cedar top issue, I have 3 cedar top guitars (2 nylon strings and 1 on Taylor 710CE).
It's the best decision to bring it back to the shop and let them find out, and good luck to you.
And please let us know the outcome in case someone else encounters this kind of problem in the future.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:25 AM

I finally made it back to the shop. They checked the guitar inside and out and found nothing wrong. When they changed the strings there was not a sound. I was glad ther was nothing to find but disapointed not to find the reason why it made so much noise the first time. I wish I could have something to help others who might have this problem but it is just another one of lifes mysteries.

Thanks
Ron
Old 07-05-2006, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONB
I finally made it back to the shop. They checked the guitar inside and out and found nothing wrong. When they changed the strings there was not a sound. I was glad ther was nothing to find but disapointed not to find the reason why it made so much noise the first time. I wish I could have something to help others who might have this problem but it is just another one of lifes mysteries.

Thanks
Ron

Thanks for taking the time to write a follow-up.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:01 PM

I have experienced the sound you describe. If it is the same thing, it is the sound of the string creating friction against itself. It is a "creaking" sound that is enhanced by the nature of the guitar. I have found that the "rougher" the string the more noise it makes.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion