The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 AM

Default Installing End Pin

Hi All,

How do you install an end pin for use as a strap button on a classical guitar?

I know you can get classical guitar straps, but they are expensive so I thought I'd go this way.

Thank you for your help.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM

I would recommend against a tapered end pin and go with a screw type like this one.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware...t=3&xsr=251725

For that type, just drill a hole slightly larger than the size of the solid shaft of the screw (outside diameter minus threads). I like to put a bit of wax or soap on and then screw it in.

Are you putting one on the heel too? That can be a little trickier. I think Frets.com has a whole page devoted to strap pins.

Good luck.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:33 PM

"...slightly larger..."

Are you putting one on the heel too? That can be a little trickier. I think Frets.com has a whole page devoted to strap pins.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

I was looking at the screw type on Stew Mac, You said drilling a hole "slightly larger" than the screw. Don't you usually go smaller when putting a screw into wood? How will it stay put? I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but I am interested in learning.

Is that screw type bolted on the inside in some way??? It would seem not, but thought I'd ask.

No, I don't plan to put a strap button on the heel. I prefer using Planet Waves quick release system for my straps.

I'll check out your site.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 PM

...slightly larger than the size of the solid shaft of the screw (outside diameter minus threads).

Maybe a photo will help. This one is measuring the solid part, between the threads. .103"

This one shows measuring the entire width, including threads. .140"

For this screw, I would round up from .103" to the nearest drill size which is 7/64" (.109")

The idea is to size the hole so the threads will have wood to grab without it being so tight that you risk splitting the end block.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:57 PM

So I use a 7/64 drill bit. Is there an end block that the screw goes into, and not just the width of the side of the wood. Is there a certain measurement as to where I place the hole?

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
So I use a 7/64 drill bit. Is there an end block that the screw goes into, and not just the width of the side of the wood. Is there a certain measurement as to where I place the hole?
Hi Kats, just thinking that with the questions you're asking you should bring this guitar to a tech for the button. It's a little hard to get the angle just right.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM

I think you're probably right; I need to take it to a tech. There's a couple of different ones in my area, so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe I can watch as he does it. That would be a great learning experience.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical