The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-06-2017, 03:41 AM

Default Strings??

Hello all...so I want to get my guitar setup again but this time with different strings...I have a Yamaha FG830 dreadnought...the last time I had it setup I put Elixir coated strings on the guitar...I like them and yes, it does make it easier to slide my fingers and yes, they are quieter too...

but the problem is that they seem to slide just a little too easy...when try to finger some chords where holding down some fingers while moving others, the ones I try to hold down slip and slide away from the fret that I am trying to hold closest too...and buzz as I slide closer to the furthest part of the fret...

so I would like try some non-coated strings but with there being so many out there, I really don't know what to get or even know what to consider when choosing strings...bronze?...phosphor?...gauge?...I hoping I can get some advice...

thanks, George
Old 06-06-2017, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

I went to one of the on line string dealers a while back and randomly selected five different branded sets of strings, all light gauge, intentionally including a low cost set ($5) and a high priced set ($16).

There were some slight variants in gauge assortment (the Es and the Bs) which interested me.

I am finding that nickel bronze makes my Huss and Dalton sing the best.

Within that scope I found i prefer brand d'addario over John Pearse, and will spend the extra bucks for the d'addario because it was significant difference to my ears.

I enjoyed for a while the semi-flat wounds but over time was missing the punch that I get from others.

Strings are another point where your own preferences will play a role in deciding what's best. For me, I have never had any Martin branded strings that I liked; go figure!

Some people only change strings every few years , and others every week.

I do know I like 12 not 11 for the high E and 56 over 54 for the low E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-06-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I went to one of the on line string dealers a while back and randomly selected five different branded sets of strings, all light gauge, intentionally including a low cost set ($5) and a high priced set ($16).

There were some slight variants in gauge assortment (the Es and the Bs) which interested me.

I am finding that nickel bronze makes my Huss and Dalton sing the best.

Within that scope I found i prefer brand d'addario over John Pearse, and will spend the extra bucks for the d'addario because it was significant difference to my ears.

I enjoyed for a while the semi-flat wounds but over time was missing the punch that I get from others.

Strings are another point where your own preferences will play a role in deciding what's best. For me, I have never had any Martin branded strings that I liked; go figure!

Some people only change strings every few years , and others every week.

I do know I like 12 not 11 for the high E and 56 over 54 for the low E.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree this is all about personal preference, but could you be more specific about all those sets you compared? Not just brands but other specs like coating, gauge, phosphor bronze etc. (if you can remember the details!)

I currently use Martin Custom Lights 11-52 (bronze), but I do find they don't hold their tone too well. I picked them originally purely because of the gauge (finding them more controllable than 12s with not too much loss of volume or tone), and cheap price. Then I found my hero Bert Jansch also used them, so I stuck with them! But then he quite liked dull-sounding strings, and I'm not sure I do...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write