The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Default Farmers Stomp Foot Bass 18in

Anyone use one of these to accompany vocals and acoustic guitar? I've been thinking of buying one but maybe a smaller electronic box would be better and more portable. I have a small PA system (efx8, 2 QSC K8's) that i would use if i go with an electric stomp box. This is just for small parties/etc.

http://www.footdrums.com/products/fo...foot-bass-shop
Old 11-28-2012, 11:59 AM

I use a Porchboard Bass which is probably easier to play and doesn't look as goofy.

https://sites.google.com/site/leebla...<br /> <br />https://www.youtube.com/user/lroyb83
Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM

I've been using a Boss Dr-5 for about 10 years and really like it. I can easily programm a drum beat and a bass line (4 tracks total if you want to add piano & synth). It has room for up to 20 songs, and a few of the songs I play I do a 3 song medly so you can easily program a 2 1/2 hour set. I see them on fleabay for around $100 or less. $195 for the foot drum seems high compared to what you can get in the digital realm.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:15 PM

I want to create my own beat as i play. Do you think the Porchbass would sound good going through the QSC K8's? They are only 8in speakers
Old 11-28-2012, 04:17 PM

I have a double 18 inch Farmer stomp bass. It is a 2-part drum that comes apart and you can store other components inside for transport. I started with the single surface drum, but found the bass much punchier with a full shell and two heads.

I don't think it looks goofy at all, at least if used as intended- upright with a pedal. Mine is part of a more elaborate single foot system I've constructed with hi-hats, snare, woodblock and tambourine. Now THAT looks goofy.

Pete Farmer has put together an amazing line of products. They are ingenious, beautifully made and sound great. We are acoustic musicians, so my feeling is I'd rather use acoustic than electronic percussion.

http://www.footdrums.com/
PKA: Cruel Haiku, Standard Deviation

Eastman E10D
Seagull S12+
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Dobro wood roundneck Model 55, 1929
Regal RD-52 Black Lightning square neck reso
Fender Musicmaster II 1966
Airline lap steel
Traveler Guitar Pro Series Acoustic-Electric (rigged as lap-steel)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshambroom View Post
We are acoustic musicians, so my feeling is I'd rather use acoustic than electronic percussion.

http://www.footdrums.com/
Very true... Now you have me interested in one!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 AM

I like the way the Farmers bass drum looks too. I looked at the Porchboard Bass last night online. Either option is a little pricey but i may have to go the route of the Porchboard so that i can practice at home with headphones.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy View Post
I want to create my own beat as i play. Do you think the Porchbass would sound good going through the QSC K8's? They are only 8in speakers
If you are talking about the Porchboard, I would not suggest using the QSC. There are 3 settings on the Prochboard, low - medium - high, and if you want to use the low one, you need something that can handle 33-100hz. This means a bass amp or subwoofer.

A couple of people mentioned that as acoustic acts they would prefer using an acoustic foot percussion devise. I understand this, but went for the Porchboard anyway because I need to be able to control the volume. Some venues require just a hint of thump/bass, others I have to turn up pretty loud. Using the Porchboard also allows you to play larger/louder venues without having to add a microphone. I would think that with any of these acoustic percussion devices one might need a mic for some applications. This would complicate matters for me.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM

After researching a little more I ordered the porchboard bass. I know it wont sound optimum through my K8's but thats all i have right now. The 2 things that helped make the decision over the Farmers Footdrum was I could adjust the volume for live applications and use headphones for home practicing.

Thanks for the help!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification