The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-04-2023, 01:44 PM

Default Vintage Electrics

I have somewhat unexpectedly been given possession of some pretty vintage electrics. I have a 1968 Telecaster (bound) in great shape with all the original parts—a 1969 ES-335 in nearly perfect shape. The tailpiece was replaced, although I have the original. Also, a 1968 Black Les Paul Custom, all original. There is a 1973 Wine (Wino) Gibson Les Paul Custom. Finally, the coolest 70s Andy Summers custom Hamer A5, which is so cool I might have to hang on to that one.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to who might honestly and fairly appraise these guitars for re-sale?
Old 12-04-2023, 02:31 PM

Try Elderly: www.elderly.com ...
Old 12-04-2023, 03:44 PM

What's your address, and when is nobody home?

Elderly was a good suggestion, but it's pretty far from California. If you're just looking for a phone or online appraisal, you might also consider Gruhn's, Carter's, Guitar Emporium, Fiddler's Green — shoot, there are hundreds to choose from. Who sells high-end guitars near you?

Personally, I'd download Vintage Guitar Price Guide 2023. It's good. They get their prices by talking regularly to places like Elderly and Gruhn's.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 12-04-2023 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:14 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Check out Norm's Rare Guitars in Tarzana, CA. They are well-respected. Be sure to indicate that you need an insurance/resale appraisal for the open market and not what they will give you for them. Joe Bonamassa is a friend of Norm, as are many other vintage lovers.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-04-2023, 06:51 PM

LA Vintage Guitar Burbank and Van Nuys.
Guitar Shoppe Laguna Beach.
Long Beach has a few good shops.
Google it.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Sarad View Post
LA Vintage Guitar Burbank and Van Nuys.
Guitar Shoppe Laguna Beach.
Long Beach has a few good shops.
Google it.

Ah, yes, thank you, Matthew. I'm aware of those shops. Yes, it's easy to Google Shops that offer appraisal services, but it's a whole different story googling "honesty and fair treatment." Google doesn't do that very well. I was kinda looking for some Acoustic Guitar Forum personal experiences.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Check out Norm's Rare Guitars in Tarzana, CA. They are well-respected. Be sure to indicate that you need an insurance/resale appraisal for the open market and not what they will give you for them. Joe Bonamassa is a friend of Norm, as are many other vintage lovers.

Bob
Thanks, Bob. I've been Saturday visiting Norms for many, many years now. I lived in Topanga Canyon for years, and Norm's shop is situated at the bottom of the canyon. It's however become a bit of a zoo these days, Norm has been, off and on, ill, and often there is a new staff member I'm unfamiliar with. If I knew I could get ahold of Norm himself, I'd probably go that route. Yes, I've met Joe Bonamassa several times now through my friend and guitar tech David Neely. David still has a "come by and hang out" vibe, and it's always fun to visit, shoot the breeze, get the best guitar repairs on the planet, and see who might be there. There's often a fun surprise visitor.
Old 12-05-2023, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Man, Joseph, those are some very cool guitars!

- Glenn
Old 12-05-2023, 01:52 PM

Wow! Super nice collection. I'd hold on to them all if I were you. I've used Gruhn's for appraisals and you can just email them with good quality photos and history and they come back with an estimate.
Old 12-08-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Ah, yes, thank you, Matthew. I'm aware of those shops. Yes, it's easy to Google Shops that offer appraisal services, but it's a whole different story googling "honesty and fair treatment." Google doesn't do that very well. I was kinda looking for some Acoustic Guitar Forum personal experiences.
Organicsoundsguitars.com is down in Tustin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars