The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-28-2023, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Default NUGD - Another Eric Johnson Strat

After reading joeappel's post on his recent EJ signature Strat well, I got the bug and bought this 2014 model. I have owned many partscasters through the years but the last true Fender Strat I bought was in 1986, a 62' reissue in Lake Placid blue.

The previously mentioned thread got me thinking it was time to get a "real" Fender. The EJ signature is an awesome guitar and even though I could never play any Eric Johnson lick I know his guitar checks most of the boxes on my list. The Pros: The guitar simply rings acoustically before you even plug in and that is always a good sign. I love nitro finishes and this blonde is beautiful. The neck profile works for me, I would prefer a slightly more "V" profile with a bit more girth but it's fine. The staggered tuners are nice. As for the pickups, all I can say is it sounds very meaty and musical, and for once a stock Strat bridge pickup that isn't too bright and thin. Wonderful

I love that it has some honest wear with the several nicks/dings and some light finish checking. It's like I bought a light relic guitar and got a discount. I won't sweat putting more wear on it. I'm in the process of setting it up after changing to my preferred 10-46 gauge strings.

The only nit I have to pick is the thin single ply pickguard with only eight screws. The guard won't stay flush to the body in a couple of spots and it bothers me a bit. It was a bad design in the 50's and it's a bad design today. Although I bet EJ can hear the difference between that and a 3 ply unit with 11 screws
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EJ Strat 1.jpg (28.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg EJ Strat 2.jpg (23.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg EJ Strat 3.jpg (18.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 11-28-2023, 12:27 PM

it looks nice, and I think the honest wear is a good thing.

but please don't tell me the Truss Rod screw is at the base of the neck!

OY! My restored 73 Jag has that setup.. It's "Very convenient"

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-28-2023, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
it looks nice, and I think the honest wear is a good thing.

but please don't tell me the Truss Rod screw is at the base of the neck!

OY! My restored 73 Jag has that setup.. It's "Very convenient"
Yes, it's on the wrong end of the neck. Another nit to pick I suppose.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Yes, it's on the wrong end of the neck. Another nit to pick I suppose.
But if the neck is stable, it's a very minor nit.

Still, it does look like a nice sig strat..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-28-2023, 01:19 PM

Getting it used with a few scrapes was probably a good thing, you can get right down to making music with it instead of sweating the first ding. As I said in Joe's post, these are great guitars! CONGRATS!
Old 11-28-2023, 01:25 PM

It looks great. Congrats!
Old 11-29-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
After reading joeappel's post on his recent EJ signature Strat well, I got the bug and bought this 2014 model.
Haha, congrats that's awesome! Glad you like yours -- it looks great. My pickguard sits flush so maybe replace yours if it becomes an issue, but I love the natural wear and tear.

I was familiar with EJ but since getting the guitar I watched a few YouTube interviews and he seems like a really good guy who very thoughtful about what he wants out of his instruments. So I'm sure that he'd be able to pick out an 8 screw single-ply pickguard from an 11 screw multi-ply one in a blindfold test
Fender EJ Strat

Last edited by joeappel; 11-29-2023 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-29-2023, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! What a great looking Strat! Good for you!

Those EJ Strats have a great reputation for sounding terrific!

- Glenn
Old 11-30-2023, 12:00 PM

One of my very few regrets was letting go of my candy apple red EJ Strat that was mint. Great guitar.
Congrats!
Old 12-03-2023, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
….The guitar simply rings acoustically before you even plug in and that is always a good sign….The only nit I have to pick is the thin single ply pickguard with only eight screws. The guard won't stay flush to the body in a couple of spots and it bothers me….
Congrats! The guitar ringing acoustically is key to me. My candy red one was like that. Plus, the nitro really checked and looked cool. I just wasn’t playing it that much so I foolishly sold it and bought a less expensive MIM Strat. The MIM just doesn’t ring. Now that I have my new sunburst side-by side, I really enjoy the EJ neck and its tone is so far superior, but yeah, my pickguard has gaps to the body between the middle and bridge pickups.
Old 12-03-2023, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Congrats! The guitar ringing acoustically is key to me. My candy red one was like that. Plus, the nitro really checked and looked cool. I just wasn’t playing it that much so I foolishly sold it and bought a less expensive MIM Strat. The MIM just doesn’t ring. Now that I have my new sunburst side-by side, I really enjoy the EJ neck and its tone is so far superior, but yeah, my pickguard has gaps to the body between the middle and bridge pickups.
I have a Fender Anodized aluminum gold pickguard on the way. I'm hoping the holes line up because I don't really want to drill holes in the body even if they'll be covered up.
Old 12-03-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I have a Fender Anodized aluminum gold pickguard on the way. I'm hoping the holes line up because I don't really want to drill holes in the body even if they'll be covered up.
Sometime there's just slight warping of the pickguard that can be fixed by heating the guard in the oven at low temperature (or with a heat gun), the putting guard between two flat surface with weight on top til it cools. I've done this twice successfully. and sometime just loosening the screws and just realigning ever so slightly works.
Old 12-04-2023, 10:55 AM

Congratulations on getting the EJ Strat.........The pickups on those are a nice upgrade, and sound Great. EJ is a really High water mark to emulate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars