The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 08:59 PM

Default Open Mic with a band

Today I played an open MIC at a venue that pay for a band to play behind you .
OK I am no star at all but they didn’t know my songs or any of the different twists and turns as a solo player you use. I used to play in a band and our bass player always had a saying we don’t play with anyone , we have never played with before . He always said two things happen , neither are good . Either you will sound bad or they will sound bad . The band today threw me off . I asked the lady running it and likes to sing but doesn’t play an instrument . She said we really want the artists to play with the band because we pay for them …Some of the hardcore songwriters just played a song or two and left. I won’t go back .
Old 02-26-2024, 02:00 AM
Charter Member

It sounds like the venue owner should have just bought a karaoke machine rather than a band!!!

I know the house band at the open mic venue I go to. They are not part of the open mic but are often there as individual musicians and will play with you if you want. In fact, I know pretty much every musician who has come out for the event, except for any visitors/new folks.

So there can some collaboration on the night. A rank amateur like me can ask Rob Vennables (session musician, plays with Robert Plant) up to play harmonica. Or Kimberly Rew (Katrina and the Waves) may ask Chris the house drummer to play with him. The house band vocalist, Ella Morgan (track being released shortly with Old Crow Medicine Show) sings great harmonies, and I have done a couple of songs with her. I have been asked up to the stage myself to play dobro or sing harmony by folks to support one of their songs.

These collaborations are a lot of fun. But 80% of the time folks do their own thing on stage - which is great too. The bar fills up with locals as the evening progresses. And there's usually a good buzz and vibe to the nights.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 02-26-2024 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:05 AM

I've run a local Open Mic for a year , we use to have backing musicians ( including me) but I found the Artists really preferred to play solo an I dropped the back up after the first month . As a result the event has grown amazingly to regular packed house and is a fave among the artists.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:36 AM

Default YuP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker1 View Post
OK I am no star at all but they didn’t know my songs or any of the different twists and turns as a solo player you use. I used to play in a band and our bass player always had a saying we don’t play with anyone , we have never played with before . He always said two things happen , neither are good . Either you will sound bad or they will sound bad . The band today threw me off . I asked the lady running it and likes to sing but doesn’t play an instrument . She said we really want the artists to play with the band because we pay for them …Some of the hardcore songwriters just played a song or two and left. I won’t go back .
I hear you. It's great playing with others in an adhoc band .. provided that they are straightforward three chord songs, and are generally well known, with space for lead breaks etc. Fab. If playing less well known stuff, or my own stuff, and there are those things with pesky minors and changeable phrasing in them, it is always a disaaaster. Now, lessons have been learned ... It can be fun, but within strict parameters. Robin's right - you invite them to play, not t'other way around.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 02-26-2024, 08:12 AM

Lesson learned , I played a song by Shinyribs song and afterwards the lady running the show told me nobody knows who Shinyribs is …ok
Old 02-26-2024, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lesson learned , I played a song by Shinyribs song and afterwards the lady running the show told me nobody knows who Shinyribs is …ok

I play little-known stuff all the time. Better than an umpteenth cover version 'Margaritaville' and 'Lyin' Eyes'. But to be fair, I try to infuse a 'known' song or two into every half-hour of playing - and even then, I try to personalize them a bit. Folks seem to like it okay.

ymmv.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:32 AM

One of the couple Duos played a Tanya Tucker song Texas when I die . They play a soft version . He plays acoustic guitar , she sings . He started playing but the backup band had all electric guitars . He just put his guitar down and let the band play . The lady running the show wanted to step in with harmonies . I have been to open mics where everyone brings their strats and Les Pauls and 16 times you hear Le Grange . I won’t do that again.
Old 02-26-2024, 08:33 AM

My geezer band not infrequently plays behind guest singers, not anyone playing their instrument and doing their own songs. I think that is two different things.

Most guest singers we have are chums that drop in on our gig to say hello and they are many, since we've all been playing around here for decades. We will invite them up to sing a song or two (some play harp that's ok too) that they and we know, and have probably played together in the deeps of time. Sometimes they come up, sometimes no.

The others are audience members, generally the "I do karaoke" crowd, who come up during breaks to ask if they can sing with us. We always say "Sure." and direct them to the rhythm guitar player, a most personable chap who is also very quick to recognize correct keys for a given voice. If they can arrange things with him we lead off the next set with their song. He is very good at saying no while not seeming off-putting to them if they don't pass muster, a true gentleman.

Just my way of looking at it, but I think those two examples are a way different thing than what is described by the OP, and can be, and have been, quite a positive experience for all involved, especially the audience.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

I play in a house band that supports open mic and there is rarely a "Stump the Band" moment. Most of us have access to unlimited Ipad tabs allowing us to muddle througha tune. If yoy have a specific arrangement, I find it helpful to discuss it with the band leader prior to playing.

BTW, what song are you referring to??

Best
Ron
Old 02-26-2024, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
It's great playing with others in an adhoc band .. provided that they are straightforward three chord songs, and are generally well known, with space for lead breaks etc. Fab. If playing less well known stuff, or my own stuff, and there are those things with pesky minors and changeable phrasing in them, it is always a disaaaster
Yep. This is exactly what has put me off with playing the local "blues jam". They have a (supposedly) ironclad playlist, with no allowed deviations, and the band participation is mandatory. Wanna play yet another take on BB King's The Thrill Is Gone? All good. Wanna play something obscure by the very same artist like Don't Open The Door? Don't get your hopes up, especially if you're not a member of the clique. Solo performance of your own original blues tunes? Not a chance....

Gatekeeping has always been a major issue in this neck of the woods (Mercer County NJ) and this is an excellent example of how it works in practice

https://www.martinshenandoahguitars.info/
Old 02-26-2024, 09:12 AM

When I see "House Band" or "full back line" I stay home. I don't like train wrecks.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi R-backer
If it were me, I'd complain to the sponsor/host and ask them to not do it. If they refused, I'd quietly go and not return till they change (and I bet if they get enough artist complaints, and crowds drop…they will change).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2024, 09:23 AM

I play in a lot of different arrangements. I think most folks who go to an open mic will not have the additional skill set required to front/lead a band through originals or standards. I think most bands today do not know how to follow a singer. However, if you go to a music city like Nashville, NYC, Chicago, LA, Muscle Shoals, Austin, etc., you can be expected to to make good improvised ensemble music if you consider yourself a musician.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:32 AM

I used to go to an open jam hosted by a band. It was always fun to see the bass player try to figure out the chords from behind the guitar neck of the person up front. It often came out pretty much OK.

D.H.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Smile This makes sense to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu View Post
My geezer band not infrequently plays behind guest singers, not anyone playing their instrument and doing their own songs. I think that is two different things.

Most guest singers we have are chums that drop in on our gig to say hello and they are many, since we've all been playing around here for decades. We will invite them up to sing a song or two (some play harp that's ok too) that they and we know, and have probably played together in the deeps of time. Sometimes they come up, sometimes no.

The others are audience members, generally the "I do karaoke" crowd, who come up during breaks to ask if they can sing with us. We always say "Sure." and direct them to the rhythm guitar player, a most personable chap who is also very quick to recognize correct keys for a given voice. If they can arrange things with him we lead off the next set with their song. He is very good at saying no while not seeming off-putting to them if they don't pass muster, a true gentleman.

Just my way of looking at it, but I think those two examples are a way different thing than what is described by the OP, and can be, and have been, quite a positive experience for all involved, especially the audience.
Zuzu has the right idea. Positive experiences are GOOD.

As for me, I have spent the last 33 years or so figuring out how to do everything myself. Vocals, guitar,
bottleneck slide guitar, lap slide guitar, Harmonicas in the rack, foot percussion, running the PA, working the crowd, frontman duties and bad jokes. And I’m sure I left something out. Oh, yes, booking, promo, and driving.

That was after a lifetime of being a band leader, and a former lifetime as a hired hand drummer. So I am on my third lifetime musically… Ha ha

Anyway, most the time, the more help I get the worse it sounds. Fortunately, I have three PAs so I don’t need to go to open mics… But I do miss that fellowship occasionally

OK, rock on gang.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 02-26-2024 at 02:47 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion