The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Default Martin OMCPA4 & GPCPA4

I agree 1000% on using good microphones, I like to use my mics live too but sometimes the gigs are not the most quiet, sit down and listen kind of atmospheres and traveling with mics has proved to be not a great choice for me lol I play a weekly gig at a bar with the band.. That bar is crazy I wound never bring my high end guitars there lol!! But back on topic whatever floats the ops boat go for it , in my humble opinion you gotta dig what you dig try em all see what suits you!! Any gpcpa model is gonna rock very versatile guitars!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
I strum chords, more than pick.
Really looking for a mini-dreadnought.
I will probably go with Rosewood material for back/sides.
Anyhow, my local GC has both the GPC and OMC in stock.
I'll just have to try 'em out.
This is the best plan. I was in the market for a new PA series. I played all three and different tone woods. The GP-Rosewood version was the clear winner. I think the lower bout is about 1" bigger than the OM which is a pretty darn big difference. With that being said, I loved the OM until I played the GP...done deal...in Rosewood.

To me, the sound seems to split the difference between a normal Martin sound and a normal Taylor sound. Very modern and has a slightly metallic sound. Very interesting. Gorgeous build quality and woods too. I didn't keep it long because at the time I was just getting started and the size was too much coming from the Ukulele. Now, I wish I still had it!
Eastman AC412
Alvarez AP70
Yamaha LS16R A.R.E.

Gone:
Martin 000MMV
Martin MMV x2
Yamaha FG700S
Guild GAD30 Padauk
Want a bunch more...
Old 07-02-2013, 01:17 PM

I definitely would not characterize the Aura system as "crap" ... it's a really amazing piece of technology, but it is a fairly expensive system compared to the basic Fishman analog and buyers who are looking at Martin PA-4 level guitars hoping for a "stage ready" instrument are probably not buyers who would fully appreciate, nor take full advantage of all the Aura has to offer.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM

Default Martin OMCPA4 & GPCPA4

I didn't mean the system is crap I ment trying to go through all the features, tweak things and what have you can be very time consuming and if your looking to get up on stage plug in and play that system can be complicated unless you sit down and learn what you like and what works best for you
Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 PM

I'm an Electrical Engineer and a huge audio geek but I took the simplicity of the ES over the Aura due to my inexperience with the guitar itself...some day though I would like to own an instrument with that system and play around with the settings.

Although I sold my GPCPA4 Rosewood for my current 414ce RW (because the Taylor was such a good deal and I couldn't have two identical-looking instruments), I would not have regretted keeping the PA4 for the long run. I do miss the convenience of a built-in tuner at times
Old 07-02-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger23 View Post
I didn't mean the system is crap I ment trying to go through all the features, tweak things and what have you can be very time consuming and if your looking to get up on stage plug in and play that system can be complicated unless you sit down and learn what you like and what works best for you
Once you have an Aura dialed in, and I readily admit that takes some hours in the beginning, and I am very picky, then it is pretty much plug and play at gigs.

I have over 10 years and 3 different Auras stage time, so I think I can speak from experience. You have to find the image(s) you prefer, set the blend (image/pickup), EQ the image, EQ the pickup, check the phase, adjust the gain, adjust compression...takes some time.

But once dialed in the volume control is all I really mess with, no need to constantly dig deep in the menus once it's set up to your liking. I absolutely prefer microphones, but the Aura system is rock solid, and IMO about as close as you can get to a natural sound with electronics. In my opinion most folks way overuse image blend and most of the settings, less is more, just enough to kill UST quack.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-03-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouthy1 View Post
To me, the sound seems to split the difference between a normal Martin sound and a normal Taylor sound. Very modern and has a slightly metallic sound. Very interesting.
I agree they are brighter and more modern sounding, leaning towards Taylor, but thankfully not enough. I find them a bit warmer. Considering the metallic sound - I think that has more to do with Rosewood than the build. You don't hear that in the Sapele and Mahogany backed ones.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:21 AM

I did this comparison a couple months back and put up a NGD post about my decision. Notable width and depth sizes are key differences here. I prefer the comfort of the OM but a side by side comparison with the GP (both me playing and listening to someone else) made it clear that the GP had a fullness to its sound that spoke to me.

Next I compared the 3 model variations, intending to purchase the Rosewood model but chose the Siris instead. For me, the GPCPA4 Siris was a perfect choice. It's not a perfect guitar in general (if such a thing exists). The 4 phase settings that go with the tone knob can be a little mysterious, the tuners can underwhelm and some of the materials are not to everyone's liking. But these are small concessions that don't take away from a great sound, an absolute perfect neck for my hand and very nice aesthetics.

Note that the Siris model has been discontinued. I knew this when I bought mine and would not change a thing. I love the guitar. Martin is making an announcement in July that may explain why this was discontinued, so you may want to wait for that, but I highly recommend trying a Siris if you can still find one.

John ____________
'13 Martin GPCPA4 Siris
'91 Kaman Montana

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion