The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Any other picks I should try?

I've played all the usual suspects that you will find in any guitar store. Also have picks by Gravity and V-Picks. I know there are some other companies out there but most of the smaller companies I've seen start their sizes at about 1mm. I like something thinner at between .70 and .80. Also I don't have a problem with anyone spending a bunch of money on a guitar pick but I lose them way too much to pay more than about five bucks for one unless it is just the be all end all pick. Anything I may have missed that has something in the sizes I like?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 PM

Hmmm well I realllly want to recommend Wegens and other topnotch picks like that but you do like the thinner gauges.... I guess I'll have to say dunlop ultex picks for your parameters. the sound is really good for strumming
Old 09-09-2011, 10:25 PM

I really like dunlop gators and nylons, but then again i also dont really like picks
Colt "1991" 1911
GSG 1911-22
Custom AR-15
Old 09-09-2011, 10:42 PM

I played Dunlop Gators for a while and have been using the Ultex .70s for a couple years now. I like them but they sound a bit thin and are lower volume compared to the others I listed.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:51 AM

Thrillhouse; How about moving up in gauge? There is a school of thought that sees picks under 1mm as subpar, and I'd like to know what you like in your thin pick? So much tone is lost under 1mm - why would you sacrifice all the sound your guitar has to offer?

Why not try a 1.25 pick? This would be a Blue Chip 50. This is the best legal pick I've played and there are many here who will agree with my opinion. Try it - if you don't like it, you can send it back.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:33 AM

I like a line of picks "Cool Picks" I am pretty fond of the Cool Picks "Ultra Cool" and their JURATEX line also. If some one local to you has some you might want to try them.

You can them through several online dealers. Here is a link to the line on Elderly's web site
http://www.elderly.com/brand/COOL%20PICKS.html
2010 Taylor T5 Custom
2008 Taylor Solid Body (Standard SB2)
2007 Taylor Solid Body (Classic SB1)
1999 Fender Am STD Hardtail Strat
Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 AM

Go on over to UMGF and sign up for the pick pack tour for a chance to try around 100 very cool picks.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Advice, get used to a slightly heavier pick and you won't go back.
Try Blue-Chip. spendy, but you won't go back.
Incidentally, I used to always be looking for a pen when I used $1 pens. I was given an $200 pen 20 years ago and I always knew where it was. - 'still do. :-)
Old 09-10-2011, 12:16 PM

I have tried heavier picks in the past but just didn't care for them. When I ordered my ultra lite v-pick they also included a lite pick which is 1.25mm. Just feels way too thick in my hand and I don't care for it at all when playing. It would be one thing if I really loved the sound and it just took getting used to but so far there hasn't been anything about a larger pick that I care for.

Also I think I've read that blue chips give a warm sound? I like bright and clear for picks. Will keep them in mind though and will check into the other suggestions here, thanks.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:22 PM

My personal favorite "cheap" picks (& actually, my favorite picks in general, regardless of price, of those I've tried) are the Dunlop Tortex pitch black jazz picks. I love jazz picks - I feel like I get more control out of them, for both picking & strumming. They come in all the standard sizes of the other tortex picks, so you can get your favorite gauge :]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion