The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Martin J-40

Looking at a late 80's Martin J-40. Haven't seen or played it yet. Any comments re: this model would be appreciated. Thanks.
Godin LG SP90 NAMM special
Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM

Should be well balanced with a richer bass compared to the similiar sized/materials Taylor 814. That 80's medel should be well opened up and sing like a bird.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:44 PM

I haven't played the Martin J-40, but I have played many high end Martins and haven't found a bad one in the bunch. I love that Martin tone! My only complaint about the J series Martins are that to me they aren't "true jumbos." They seem more like dreads with a glandular problem!

Personally, if I want a jumbo I like Guilds and Taylors. That is a true jumbo shape. If I were going for a Martin I'd chose a good D-40. Martin makes one great dreadnaught!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

I had a Martin J-40MC. Bought in new in 87 and sold it in 03. Within a year of new it had to have a neck reset; the sound board bellied (rose between the bridge and the tailblock). After that the soundboard rose more;I initially dealt with it by lowering the saddle, but eventually it needed a second neck reset. The scalloped bracing just didn't provide enough strength on my particular guitar (it was strung with medium gauge strings).

As my style developed more to fingerstyle the guitar did not suit me; the bass was wonderful but the trebles seemed too thin. I also like holding the guitar in more of a classical position on my left knee and the size of the guitar did not work well for that.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:26 PM

I owned a J-40. To this day I think it was one of the best sounding acoustics I have ever heard. I played a few others and they were consistently tuneful. Big bass thump but clear highs as well.

I sold the one I had because it just didn't play well. I think its previous owner did not properly humidify the guitar and it had intonation problems. I needed and electric acoustic and rather that have the bridge routed and compensated and a pup installed I sold it and bought a Taylor (514ce). I always missed the big sound and bass (and the smell of the rose wood). I sold the Taylor because it never matched up.

I recently bought a Gibson J-100 extra because it reminded me of the J-40 but it played and tuned so much better. It doesn't smell as good but it works better and sound Giant.
CS Tele (Sherwoodforest)
PRS Ted
Guild Starfire III,
2X Dr.Z Ghias
Bunch O' pedals
Old 05-04-2005, 06:44 AM

One of my former teachers who's a pretty incredible fingerstylist has one and loves it.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 05-04-2005, 07:34 AM

Thanks to all who responded. I'll be checking it out this weekend.
Godin LG SP90 NAMM special
Old 05-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Look carefully at the amount belly in the soundboard (see my previous post). Check the intonation and the string height to see if there is a problem needing to be taken of (possible neck reset). Also, make sure there is plenty of saddle height remaining.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:21 PM

Balanced in tone - balanced when you hold it. Perhaps Martin's most underrated guitar.

'Strings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion