The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2015, 03:59 PM

Yeah, it's a recording king 12 fret. Bought it used from musicians friend. Lame tone, baseball bat neck. It's been gathering dust for a couple years now. pm me if you want to buy it for some reason.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:15 PM

First, at least in my mind, disappointment is directly proportional to the bucks spent. My biggest disappointment was this one. The guitar itself was absolutely beautiful and built to very high standards, had wonderful action and playability and that was exactly where the worth of it ended. There's no doubt that it was all my fault in that I bought it with the Taylor name in my mind and it's good looks in my eyes but for the $1900 I spent on it in the end it was an absolute dog. No bass, no volume and no road worthiness. The thing was fragile to say the least. Oh well, live and learn. Fortunately I was able to trade it in for a new Gretsch Tennessee Rose and the GC I went to kind of fell for the Taylor and gave me an excellent value on it. I giggled all the way out the door.

06 Taylor 810 LTD

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 03-27-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:27 PM

Yes, I bought not one but two Zager guitars a few years ago when I started to get back into the guitar after a long hiatus. Those where good guitars that I was led to believe were made in the USA. Some of that was my fault for not asking the right questions and some of the blame falls on that companies shoulders imho, I was so put out when I discovered they were made in Indonesia I unloaded both and bought a Martin and after that a couple of Gibsons. If I buy any guitars made off shore or across borders I want to know that fact up front and not be deceived. Call me crazy but if I pay a thousand dollars for a guitar the people whose hands are doing the work better be getting more than fifty cents a day for wages. It's just the way I roll
Old 03-27-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1 View Post
Yes, I bought not one but two Zager guitars a few years ago when I started to get back into the guitar after a long hiatus. Those where good guitars that I was led to believe were made in the USA. Some of that was my fault for not asking the right questions and some of the blame falls on that companies shoulders imho, I was so put out when I discovered they were made in Indonesia I unloaded both and bought a Martin and after that a couple of Gibsons. If I buy any guitars made off shore or across borders I want to know that fact up front and not be deceived. Call me crazy but if I pay a thousand dollars for a guitar the people whose hands are doing the work better be getting more than fifty cents a day for wages. It's just the way I roll
Yeah well, everybody's interpretation of Mr. Zager's advertisement tactics is different.

Or, as I feel compelled to point out, I do feel your pain, deeply, but did you know he's a sponsor here?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:40 PM

I've bought several. One was a Johnson thin body electric acoustic. Bought it new online,. Total POS. Couldn't dump it soon enough.
I've purchased 2 Guild guitars. One an older Jumbo. The other GAD 50. LOVED the tone of both. But couldn't reconcile with very slim necks. WAY disappointed! And the Silver Creek 000. I liked the SC dreads. But the 000 didn't impress me.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky View Post
Yeah well, everybody's interpretation of Mr. Zager's advertisement tactics is different.

Or, as I feel compelled to point out, I do feel your pain, deeply, but did you know he's a sponsor here?
I didn't know that...although I don't believe that buys the right to deceptive marketing. I won't bring the subject up again.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrafty1 View Post
I didn't know that...although I don't believe that buys the right to deceptive marketing. I won't bring the subject up again.
That wasn't entirely my intent to give permission to lie to whomever.

I've been in guitar forums for a few years, and Zager threads are a slippery slope, where upon the guitars and the seller get way more attention than they deserve.

Certain things about Zager and his ad campaign tactics are, as well they should be, relegated to folklore.

Trust me, I'm right there with you, I just don't want this singular aspect of the discussion derail the entire thread. Or as they say, "discretion is the better part of valor".
Old 03-27-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky View Post
That wasn't entirely my intent to give permission to lie to whomever.

I've been in guitar forums for a few years, and Zager threads are a slippery slope, where upon the guitars and the seller get way more attention than they deserve.

Certain things about Zager and his ad campaign tactics are, as well they should be, relegated to folklore.

Trust me, I'm right there with you, I just don't want this singular aspect of the discussion derail the entire thread. Or as they say, "discretion is the better part of valor".
Point taken.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:48 PM

Nope, never bought a guitar I was disappointed with because I never bought one without playing it.... Simple enough
2009 Huss and Dalton MJC
Old 03-27-2015, 07:50 PM

WOW - I am totally surprised this thread is only three pages in length. Considering all the gripes about Gibson - I would think this thread would have reached the 300 message limit already ,

H
Old 03-27-2015, 08:59 PM

Never bonded with a 2014 D18 '39 Authentic - rear shifted bracing is not for me
Old 03-27-2015, 09:02 PM

I've done it more than once.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Never disappointed in a purchase. But i did miss out on a couple of sweet guitars. Went back and they were gone. .
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 AM

Default On That Subject

Back in late 70's I decided to take up acoustic guitar and noticed that a local shop was doing a GOB auction and decided to check it out. 2 Acoustics came up and the first one was a Degas dread and the second was going to be something called a, "Gibson Hummingbird". I knew nothing about guitars and the Degas looked OK so I bid a whopping 45$ on it. I had about 60 on me.

Well I won on the Degas and hung around just to see how the HB did.

Some dude in a cowboy hat and coveralls got the winning bid of $85.

Martin DC-1E (gen1)
Laurel Canyon LA-100
Old 03-30-2015, 09:40 AM

I fell for the hype and bought a Vintage Paul Brett 12 String parlor guitar.

It looks like this:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/paulbrett.html

I never realized how much I would hate the slotted head and vintage tuners and the tiny body means there is next to no bass coming from the guitar.

This one is going on E-bay when I get around to it.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion