The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2015, 12:04 PM

Oh what the hell, I just remembered I had a spectacular lemon.

I had an Ovation 1157 "Anniversary" built for me. They start off with a 40% upcharge for a left hand build.

Well, the builder put enough of whatever clear coat they were using on, to almost totally immobilize the top. When I finally got the action down to where I wanted it, the saddle was barely peeking above the bridge.

And then it was, "mellow". Actually mellow to the point where even after I stuffed 80/20 strings on it, it still put me to sleep. Bah, that was likely due to the ice skating rink depth of the top finish.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:07 PM

never disappointed with any guitar i bought, however, probably my best sounding guitar, an hd28, is difficult to play very long due to bursitis in my shoulder. so i do exercises for both shoulders, arms, hands and fingers, and, start out with a smaller guitar to warm me up.

maybe i need to be torrified or attach a tonerite to me so i open up. ha!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-27-2015, 12:07 PM

A used 2008 Martin D-18VS. The guitar was good but the owner/seller dumped bad cologne over the smoke stench as a cover up and denied it (other issues undisclosed too). I got it smelling OK, but had to sell it for these reasons.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky View Post
Right! Save for the fact that stores within your shopping radius would have to stock the guitar you wanted, and have multiple copies of it for you to compare.

For example, if you live in Cleveland, it would be beyond impractical to drive to Australia to audition the largest selection of Cole Clarks.
This is probably why you shouldn't "want" a guitar you've never heard in person Cranky.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
This is probably why you shouldn't "want" a guitar you've never heard in person Cranky.
Which in turn forces you to accept only what is available. And agreed, that can create a lose/lose scenario.

I'm forced to the web and the mail for my instruments, (left handed handi-capable).

That said, sometimes I have to bite the bullet, and search for the "angels of my new guitar's better nature", rather than nitpicking its flaws.

Either that, or make up my mind to shop lo locally, and have the finest and most expansive collection, of unplayed, left handed, black Squire Stratocasters, in the free world.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:56 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky View Post
Which in turn forces you to accept only what is available. And agreed, that can create a lose/lose scenario.

I'm forced to the web and the mail for my instruments, (left handed handi-capable).

That said, sometimes I have to bite the bullet, and search for the "angels of my new guitar's better nature", rather than nitpicking its flaws.

Either that, or make up my mind to shop lo locally, and have the finest and most expansive collection, of unplayed, left handed, black Squire Stratocasters, in the free world.
I never told you to play the guitar the wrong way around now did I? Honestly I do feel for you left handed players. You're lucky if you find even one left handed guitar in a store. I've only seen a few in the past 30 years of going to music stores. There are some left handed only stores though like Southpaw Guitars https://www.southpawguitars.com/ but you would have to travel to visit one I assume.

Edit: I found this as well. Not sure if you've seen it before: http://leftyfretz.com/left-handed-gu...ore-directory/

Last edited by Guest 33123; 03-27-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Sorry for the rant. I know I shouldn't care what people do with their money or how they feel about these things, but I hate that ignorance is causing players to spend more for "higher end" acoustics when they should just be judging their guitar candidates with their ears and hands. IMO if you haven't progressed to the point that you can use your ears and hands to pick a good guitar for what you need to do with a guitar then you should really consider the reasons why your spending all that money on an upgrade in the first place. I
I see no rant here. It's something most of us have probably gone through, and I agree with your conclusions. Sometimes I have to remind myself of this when largely unmotivated GAS hits
Old 03-27-2015, 02:15 PM

No, never. Gotten a free acoustic that I was disappointed that wasn't in better condition or a better brand. But, then again the price was right.

Guess I haven't bought enough yet!
Old 03-27-2015, 02:17 PM

Yes, 1995 new Gibson Gospel.. What a dull sounding, difficult to play guitar, even after a good set-up. Total junk.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:09 PM

My D-41

ADVERTISEMENT
Aitch Oh Double-U A Are Dee
Ef Are Eye Ess Sea Aitch E Are
Facebook.com/HowardFrischer
Ads by Google Adwords
Old 03-27-2015, 03:20 PM

Well . . . most guitars I've owned wind up with something that bugs me . . . like perhaps a minor wolf note or two, or a couple of odd notes on the unwound strings, or some stray dissonant overtones when playing certain chords in certain positions, or lack of headroom, etc. . . . so yes, in that regard, pretty much every guitar I've owned has been kind of a dud. I play them anyway, and some of them sound great to everyone else but me. Yeah, I'm kind of OCD.

I owned a plywood Chinese maple jumbo for a few years that didn't have anything I found annoying . . . but it was a cheap Chinese plywood guitar with tone that was quite good, but not exceptional. I sold it to buy something nicer. I tried to convince myself that I really deserved a better guitar. I bought one that cost five times more. It really is a better guitar in almost every way. It has very rich and complex tone and it is a sight to behold, but it does have couple of notes I find a little harsh. In retrospect, I should have hung onto the Chinese cheapie. It didn't annoy me.

Last edited by Big-Al; 03-27-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:22 PM

Bought a 414ce from one of you guys....bright, thin, harsh. Changed strings, bone nut.....still dead....sold it in a week. Bought a GA4 from one of you....same thing.....sold in a week.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Bought a 414ce from one of you guys....bright, thin, harsh. Changed strings, bone nut.....still dead....sold it in a week. Bought a GA4 from one of you....same thing.....sold in a week.
You can't buy anymore guitars from us.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:40 PM

I had a Taylor BTO a few years ago that was beautiful, but the worst-sounding acoustic I owned. It didn't last long.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:45 PM

Interesting thread. So far we have a fairly mixed assortment of guitars that have been disappointing for various reasons.
2 Gibson Gospels but the winner is 5 Taylor 400 series guitars.
My own 422 then a 410 and 412 and 2 x 414ce's.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion