The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Question Justinguitar Strumming Techniques Dvds

Wondering if Justin Sandercoe's strumming techniques dvd 1 & 2 would help me with strumming. Anyone know what the contents or table of contents are in Dvds 1 & 2? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I think the lessons in volume 1 are very good for the beginner. Tip - play the patterns he teaches with all kinds of different chord progressions and to throw more fun in the mix, use a drum machine app in lieu of a metronome.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-06-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annw View Post
Wondering if Justin Sandercoe's strumming techniques dvd 1 & 2 would help me with strumming. Anyone know what the contents or table of contents are in Dvds 1 & 2? Any help would be appreciated.
I really like this guy's strumming lessons. https://www.andyguitar.co.uk/online-...rn-1-the-beat/

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I'm using Justin's lessons. I downloaded the Strumming 1 lessons and I think that I got a lot out of it. I'm now working on his Intermediate Method and I'll be getting Strumming 2 very soon.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

How much do "strumming exercises" help?

I promise I'm not asking this question out of disagreement -- I have no experience with this so I have no opinion. On one hand, I have gotten *some* value out of certain sorts of drills (one-finger-per-fret warmups, minor pentatonic scale fingerings, fretboard games). In lots of other areas, though, I've found that to really learn something, I need to do it in the context of a song. I imagine doing some strum or strumming pattern in an exercise, but not using it right away in some song, and by two months later it's gone from my mind and my hands/arms/etc.

Have these helped you?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:10 AM

I received DVD 1 when I got his beginners package. Since I didn't have an instructor, I found it helpful.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkapus View Post
How much do "strumming exercises" help?

I promise I'm not asking this question out of disagreement -- I have no experience with this so I have no opinion. On one hand, I have gotten *some* value out of certain sorts of drills (one-finger-per-fret warmups, minor pentatonic scale fingerings, fretboard games). In lots of other areas, though, I've found that to really learn something, I need to do it in the context of a song. I imagine doing some strum or strumming pattern in an exercise, but not using it right away in some song, and by two months later it's gone from my mind and my hands/arms/etc.

Have these helped you?
Based on my own experience, for a beginner, working with the patterns and concepts Justin teaches in the RUST courses IMO builds a good technical foundation that will serve them well as they learn to listen and develop their own strum groove to any song they desire to play. YMMV.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Justin's strumming dvds very much helped me to hear exact patterns in a song and made learning to play the rhythm in songs so much faster. I wasn't guessing the pattern. I knew it and could feel it exactly. It also helped with timing, counting, hearing abd transcribing the rhythm. I think some isolated rhythm exercises are good because not all songs we know or interested in will cover all rhythmic combinations.

Last edited by Jusca; 06-10-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annw View Post
I bought the strumming 1 with the beginner's course. I found it very helpful in improving my strumming as well as improving my ability to pick out a pattern in a song, and play it. The contents are about 20 different patterns, mostly eighth note patterns. As I understand it, the second DVD is mostly 16th note patterns. I would definitely purchase volume 1 again.

If you read notation, Justin has a physical book out called: "Justin Guitar Rhythm Reading". It is about how to read, write, and understand rhythmic notation. Good book, and available on Amazon. (at least it is in the U.S.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write