The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-26-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Percussive (slightly) playing technique -- is there a term for this?

Greetings,

Lately, I find myself drawn towards incorporating a percussive element into my guitar playing. Because there are so many variables as to what someone may mean by "percussive," let me describe: I am talking about the picking hand (think "fingerstyle" playing) allowing the tops of the fingernails to sort of *tap* against the strings as the fingers almost immediately find nail placement to then sound the strings normally. The side of thumb may also create a similar percussive effect against the bass strings.

This Youtube video demonstrates quite nicely that which I am talking about -- but I am at a loss as to *what* to refer to this type of technique (you have to get about a minute into the song):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diknIjZZZew

I am interested in exploring this technique in more depth. When people say "percussive" guitar playing, sometimes that evoke techniques which quite literally involve using the entire guitar akin to a drum -- that is not what I am talking about here.

Any ideas as to how to describe this type of playing?
Old 05-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Tapping is what I have seen it usually called. Personally I don't usually care for players that use it on a regular basis.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-26-2017, 11:50 AM

Tapping us what I've heard it called.

My guitar is not a bongo. I'm not fan of the percussion platers.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-26-2017, 12:04 PM

I'm not a fan of it either, but I've found myself doing it lately, much to my annoyance. I'll probably end up loving it one day.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:54 PM

I'm not sure many different percussive guitar elements have established names - except in the granddaddy of percussive guitar: Flamenco.

That particular one reminds me of the hi-hat in a drum set - and using it repetitively and monotonously, like in the linked video starts to irritate me quickly. The hi-hat needs at least a bass drum to go with it.

And I'm a great fan of a few different musicians who make good use of the opportunities that a guitar gives for making music.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-26-2017, 01:13 PM

This is not far off from the typical boom-chick strum that is used by most strumming guitar players when they accompany their voice. The level of condemnation in this thread, frankly, surprises me.

If you play guitar without a percussionist or drummer, I'd consider it almost essential to provide some sort of percussion accent to your playing. It provides clear tempo, creates momentum, gets people moving, invites attention and just adds to the song.

I don't think it has a clear name technique wise, though it is related to golpe technique in flamenco guitar.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 05-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Percussive is what I've always called it and when done well it can be very effective.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

It's different strokes for different folks. The repetitiveness gets to me eventually. Good sense of timing, phrasing, accenting,
and a good song structure keeps the music cohesive and moving forward with or without percussive effects.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Tapping is what I have seen it usually called.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Tapping us what I've heard it called.
That's not what it's called. Tapping refers to hitting notes on the fretboard with your picking hand. Van Halen is famous for popularizing the technique. On the acoustic, a number of players do it with mixed results. The best are Michael Hedges and Andy McKee, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
The level of condemnation in this thread, frankly, surprises me.
It's par for the course on AGF. "Be nice" doesn't seem to apply to people who play anything ever so slightly differently from the average player from the 60s.

Quote:
I don't think it has a clear name technique wise, though it is related to golpe technique in flamenco guitar.
Agreed--there isn't a name for this that I'm aware of.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
The level of condemnation in this thread, frankly, surprises me.
Yes, we unanimously condemn this form of playing, and we think it should be outlawed and punishable by a maximum $5000 fine and one year in prison.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

More specifically I would call it "string taps" or perhaps better "string slaps" (like he calls them https://youtu.be/F1uXNtotVsg )(to distinguish it from tapping elsewhere on the body of the guitar). It can be tastefully done in measured doses (naturally Tommy Emmanuel uses it effectively, as with everything else he does) or it can just be tap, tap, tap, tap, tap...

Last edited by rick-slo; 05-26-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Greetings,

Lately, I find myself drawn towards incorporating a percussive element into my guitar playing. Because there are so many variables as to what someone may mean by "percussive," let me describe: I am talking about the picking hand (think "fingerstyle" playing) allowing the tops of the fingernails to sort of *tap* against the strings as the fingers almost immediately find nail placement to then sound the strings normally. The side of thumb may also create a similar percussive effect against the bass strings.
It's a kind of "raking", isn't it? But with fingers. The others are thumb slaps. I really like percussive fingerstyle done well.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 05-26-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:24 PM

I'm going with "slapping". It's pretty much what upright bass players do to accentuate the upbeat.

My personal preference is to use damping rather than slapping, silence rather than noise to help define the rhythm pulse.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:30 PM

All,

Thank you very much for the kind replies.

I think part of what may be driving me forward with this line of inquiry is the realization that this style of playing seems to work better -- or at least seems much more prevalent -- on steel-string (as opposed to nylon-string) guitars. As for myself, I have primarily played nylon-string guitars in recent years. While I feel like I have gotten some beautiful amplified tones from my nylon-string guitars, my current equipment doesn't seem to *like* this "tapping/slapping" technique on the strings. My pickups / pre-amps just seem too sensitive -- maybe it is because they are saddle-transducer types -- but when I try that kind of technique on my current guitars, it seems way too harsh and loud. I personally like the technique, however, and I would like to add a few songs that incorporate this to my current repertoire. In order to delve further into details -- perhaps more appropriately on the "Acoustic Amplification" part of the forum -- I am struggling with the right language to even describe the effect.

I appreciate all the help thus far.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=rogthefrog;5353421]

It's par for the course on AGF. "Be nice" doesn't seem to apply to people who play anything ever so slightly differently from the average player from the 60s.

I think everyone WAS nice. Most simply said that we just don't like it. Maybe my "guitar is not a bongo" was off-putting..

But if you would prefer that this method be trashed, I'll be happy to oblige.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write