The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-11-2016, 08:32 PM

Default Pedal power supply for dumbies (like me)

So, first off, why do I need a power supply? What's the 9V battery for?

Secondly, what about isolation in power supplies? It appears that's a good thing, but it seems that some power supplies that claim isolation really don't have it. See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igHqmGyc-O8

So, do I really need true isolation, and do I have to spend this much? https://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Lab-Pe.../dp/B0002IHGZC
(Assuming this one provides true isolation).

Dear Abby: call me confused.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 12-11-2016, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Hey Jerry - don't get overwhelmed - it's actually not as confusing as it seems at first.

You can run on 9V battery power or you can run with an AC Adapter (similar to your phone charger but 9v). With battery you have more freedom to move around and not require cords, but the battery is limited in life and some pedals require you to unscrew the bottom cover to swap batteries.

For the most part, the pedal industry has standardized on the same type of pedal power supply. There are a few exceptions where the pedal is special and it's electronics need more power. For example, my TC Ditto Looper is also 9V but draws more current so it will work on a standard power supply but sucks 9V batteries dry very quickly. Also my Blackstar tube distortion pedal requires extra power for the tube preamp so it is a different 18V power supply.

So, you see there are weird exceptions but generally they are all 9V.

The isolation you speak about is to reduce noise form the pedal. If you have what's called a "noisy" power line there are electronic noise signals carried and they show up as noise in your amp. These are caused by poor wiring, incorrect grounding, and usually come from devices like motors and flourescent lights somewhere upstream of your power circuit.

An isolated power supply tries to decouple itself but a true isolated system is outrageously expensive and TBH no one really does that.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-11-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
So, first off, why do I need a power supply? What's the 9V battery for?

Secondly, what about isolation in power supplies? It appears that's a good thing, but it seems that some power supplies that claim isolation really don't have it. See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igHqmGyc-O8

So, do I really need true isolation, and do I have to spend this much? https://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Lab-Pe.../dp/B0002IHGZC
(Assuming this one provides true isolation).

Dear Abby: call me confused.
In addition to Fazool's info, note that practically all pedals are still drawing power even when not switched "on" if an instrument cable is plugged into the input. So if you rely on bateries, even when not in use your pedals are draining them. If you only have a couple of pedals, no big deal; just reach down and slide the cables out until you feel them disengage. More than that, and personally I go with a power supply for convenience and predictability (avoids the problem of different pedals going dead at different and unpredictable times).

Also, FWIW, my experience with isolated power supplies and so forth is that it is much more important with electric guitars and amps, especially if you're using boost, OD, distortion or fuzz pedals. With an acoustic pedalboard, I'd try powering with a 1-Spot daisy-chain arrangement. I do mine that way, never had any noise problems.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:50 AM

I've done the daisy chain thing for years and never had a problem with it either. Then I got a cheap Joyo power supply and it works like a champ. I don't think it's necessary to buy boutique power supplies, it aint rocket science
Old 12-12-2016, 09:52 AM

I'm using a Boss power adaptor (PSA-120). It plugs into the back of my TU2 tuner and supplies power via a daisy chain to a bunch of my other pedals, non-Boss included. You need the TU2 (and I believe there's another one or two Boss pedals you can use) that serves as the start of the chain.

I tend to velcro my pedals to the board so I don't want any batteries. I've never had any issues or noise with this setup and I've been using it for about 7 years.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/12543/G...er_Adapter.htm

Old 12-12-2016, 06:25 PM

Back in the day when I did have a couple of pedals that I rarely used I ended up building an analogue power supply with a few fly leads to power my tuner, and pedals. I never had any problems with that and never needed batteries.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
Back in the day when I did have a couple of pedals that I rarely used I ended up building an analogue power supply with a few fly leads to power my tuner, and pedals. I never had any problems with that and never needed batteries.
Notice I said "for dumbies". I don't even know what a "fly lead" is.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 12-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

I bought a Boss pedal board, comes with a power supply, and is its own carrying case. You're limited to pedals similar in size to the Boss pedals, but I'm happy enough with that. My ears are not good enough to discern a boutique overdrive from a Boss overdrive, especially in a band setting, so that works for me. Same with the other pedals on the board. I figure if I'm using the board, it's because I'm going into an amp, therefore there is going to be power somewhere I can tap into. I have not had to go with batteries at all, so I removed them from the pedals and the board is assembled, ready to go, all the time. I have an extra power strip in the car, with a long cord, in case I need to extend power to where I might be standing. At home, I have no issue, I just set up near a power outlet for my own practicing.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-12-2016, 09:47 PM

Voodoo labs power gear is pretty amazing. I have a couple of preamps with +/-9v supply requirements, and was able to make cords to power them, which is wonderful. The isolated outputs do help cut down on noise, too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars