The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-30-2016, 09:56 PM

Default (Video) New to Flatpicking - Any Advice?

I've attached a video of my the first flatpicking tune I've learned - Blackberry Blossom. I've played guitar for a quite a few years, mainly electric, but haven't learned any flatpicking tunes from start to finish. Tried Beaumont Rag, but only got through the a section and decided to revisit it after learning a few simpler tunes.

I'm obviously going a little too fast for my ability in the video, but am trying to push myself towards around 200bpm error free soon.

Any advice on left or right hand technique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2016, 05:07 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

I'm not seeing the video. Do you have a link to the Youtube video or something?

JR
Old 09-03-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
I'm not seeing the video. Do you have a link to the Youtube video or something?

JR

Oops. Not sure what happened. Here it is. https://vimeo.com/181306362

Old 09-03-2016, 08:06 AM

Pwn - You're getting there. My advice (and I'm probably about the same level as you are) is to not increase the speed, but to see if you can swing it a little by adding slurs and syncopation. Keep hacking away! And btw - recording yourself is probably one of the best things you can do to advance yourself.

best,

Rick

Last edited by srick; 09-03-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:15 AM

Might think about your right hand/wrist position. You angle your hand away from the strings and you would get better power and control by reducing that angle.

When you arrange the tune, look for opportunities to use slurs like hammers, pulls, and slides to smooth out the sound. Picking every note tends to sound a bit harsh.

I don't mean to be critical, you are playing very well.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:28 AM

Great pickin' ! It seems to me that your wrist is a bit tensed. It could help to use more the forearm in the picking movement. I think Bryan Sutton talks about this matter in his homespun video. A lot of flatpickers talk about getting your wrist and everything really relaxed.

BTW you've got a great tone !
Old 09-04-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Pwn - You're getting there. My advice (and I'm probably about the same level as you are) is to not increase the speed, but to see if you can swing it a little by adding slurs and syncopation. Keep hacking away! And btw - recording yourself is probably one of the best things you can do to advance yourself.

best,

Rick

Good call. I intentionally chose a tune that lacked the syncopation and slurs because it's easier to learn. That said, I look forward to tackling more tunes with them as they certainly help with speed!

Old 09-04-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Might think about your right hand/wrist position. You angle your hand away from the strings and you would get better power and control by reducing that angle.

When you arrange the tune, look for opportunities to use slurs like hammers, pulls, and slides to smooth out the sound. Picking every note tends to sound a bit harsh.

I don't mean to be critical, you are playing very well.

Thanks. Very helpful. I'm going to go back and watch the Bryan Sutton video that talks about arm/hand/pick position.

Like I told the poster above, I chose something really straight forward as a starting point so I could focus purely on the fundamental technique of flatpicking. Next few tunes I tackle will incorporate slurs, slides, etc. Scott Fore sent me a few of his original arrangements, including blackberry blossom and they have some really tasteful flourishes.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpiker View Post
Great pickin' ! It seems to me that your wrist is a bit tensed. It could help to use more the forearm in the picking movement. I think Bryan Sutton talks about this matter in his homespun video. A lot of flatpickers talk about getting your wrist and everything really relaxed.

BTW you've got a great tone !

Thanks for the kind words. Have Labor Day off so I'll try to watch the vid and nail the proper angles. I agree my wrist is tense here. Pushing a bit much. Need to keep focused on the loose wrist and not play faster than my current ability. Hard to keep disciplined!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell