The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-26-2016, 05:30 AM

Default how long do your strings last?

I play at least 1-2 hours every day of the week and my strings last about 6 weeks before they go dead or become frayed.

I'm wondering how long strings last for others

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-26-2016, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

I change my strings every two gigs (I generally play two-hour gigs). And if I go long enough between gigs (a couple of months), then I'll put a fresh set on there. I don't have issues with strings fraying, but they do go dead after a while.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 AM

The fraying that I experience is on the lower strings, mostly the 4th & 5th string near the frets. I play all over the fretboard, so the wear isn't a few locations.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 08-27-2016, 03:52 PM

90 to 120 hours, but I have corrosive body chemistry from all the poison I ingest. I play about like you and replace one string every Saturday. Replaced my g today and next saturday I get a new b. I can only deal with one wayward string at a time.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I play at least 1-2 hours every day of the week and my strings last about 6 weeks before they go dead or become frayed.

I'm wondering how long strings last for others

Dave
Your strings last longer than mine. Six weeks for two hours a day is such a very good lifetime for strings before replacement. I don't play that much everyday and most is four hours a week. I replace my strings when I feel that I need to.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalmuks View Post
Your strings last longer than mine. Six weeks for two hours a day is such a very good lifetime for strings before replacement. I don't play that much everyday and most is four hours a week. I replace my strings when I feel that I need to.
How will I feel when my strings need to be changed?
Old 08-28-2016, 08:12 AM

They won't won't sound as bright as a new set, almost like someone has put a very light damper on the string. Be aware, though, that different brand strings will sound different on your instrument and some instruments may be more "forgiving" of old strings than others. My Maton, f'rinstance sounds ok with some bands of strings, but really comes alive when I use Tomastiks on it. My electric, however, is happy if they are strings.
Old 08-28-2016, 04:59 PM

I use Elixirs, and I get between 6 weeks and 16 weeks from them. Now I'm playing 1 to 2 hours a day, so they last about 6 to 8 weeks. If I'm playing less they can go up to 16 weeks before I notice any corrosion or tonal changes.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:44 AM

When I used to play a lot I would change the bass strings every 4 weeks or less. I'd leave the trebles on for sometimes several months to even a year or when ever it seemed appropriate to change them.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I usually change my strings every 4-8 weeks. I am using D'Addario EJ16 (PB Light) or EJ11 (80/20 Light). I play 30-60 minutes per day, but alternate between five acoustic guitars, all of which are not case-kept (they're in the same music room with a humidifier).

I prefer uncoated strings b/c I like that "new string" sound. The timing for changing strings varies, depending on whether they're still sounding fresh or not.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:09 PM

I replace mine on every third full moon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical