The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 PM

No. If anything it would probably be easier on you. The action might be a tad higher but nylon strings are much easier on a learner's fingertips. About the only thing I'd say you should be accepting of is the sound of a nylon string guitar. If you love the sound of a steel string guitar the nylon strings will not give it. But, you can get a nylon string guitar with electronics and a small, cheap practice amp. That can be a lot of fun and kind of offset the tonal differences between the two guitar types.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:22 AM

Default Lowered Action

Nylons can allow you to practice longer without as much fatigue or injury. Won't mess u up at all. The more success you achieve quickly the better. Nylons also allow you experiment in a fun way. You can just try all kinds of stuff. You might find yourself trying more Spanish types of strums and such. It's a good time and you get the added benefit of dabbling in classical music which has been the greatest pleasure for my wife and I. Thank The Lord we listened to our teacher and gave him a good year on the nylon guitars. Now, we couldn't imagine not playing some classical pieces. Go for it!

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical