The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Video: Tips on Buying a Martin Nylon

Ok, here are some thoughts on how to stay out of trouble when buying these old Martin nylon guitars. I am expecting the "experts" to help me with this video if they will (hopefully post constructive criticism type stuff) and correct me if my thinking is incomplete or unsound. Because of my YouTube channel, I get a lot of emails asking about what to look for and what questions to ask.

Add to it if you can based on your experience, correct it, do whatever you think will help buyers successfully get a "good one" if they get the bug for a Martin nylon.

Video: Tips on Buying Martin Nylon (from an amateur buyer)

Cheers!

Chris

Here is the guitar shown in the video.

Last edited by CCFingerstyle; 02-25-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Nice job Chris! That's a great video!

Nice guitar too!

Matt
Old 02-27-2013, 12:38 PM

Chris, I'd like to say I love your playing style. It's the way I wanna play when I finally grow up! It's the kind of stuff I try and play at the end of a long day. I can lost in that stuff, unfortunately, I am not near as advanced as you...Thanks. Great guitar reviews, by the way.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
Chris, I'd like to say I love your playing style. It's the way I wanna play when I finally grow up! It's the kind of stuff I try and play at the end of a long day. I can lost in that stuff, unfortunately, I am not near as advanced as you...Thanks. Great guitar reviews, by the way.
Thanks for the kind comments.The good news is that you do not necessarily have to grow up to play like me. Some who know me well would question whether or not I am a grown up (grown-old perhaps). It mostly takes curiosity, experimenting and practicing a bit now and then.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM

Cool Tips on buying a Martin Nylon

Chris, I really enjoyed listening to (and watching) your video, and several more after that, as well. You said that you focus primarily on older vintage guitars, and I'm wonder what you think of the newer models, in particular, the Martin 000C Nylon (because I recently bought one). I was amazed at the volume and tone, and that was before I plugged it into my amp. Your thoughts?

Also, what kind of training aids can you recommend for someone who is just beginning to play? I'm starting to teach my grandson, and could use some direction about what I should consider, so that he doesn't pick up any of my bad habits.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
Chris, I really enjoyed listening to (and watching) your video, and several more after that, as well. You said that you focus primarily on older vintage guitars, and I'm wonder what you think of the newer models, in particular, the Martin 000C Nylon (because I recently bought one). I was amazed at the volume and tone, and that was before I plugged it into my amp. Your thoughts?

Also, what kind of training aids can you recommend for someone who is just beginning to play? I'm starting to teach my grandson, and could use some direction about what I should consider, so that he doesn't pick up any of my bad habits.

Glen
Here's a short demo of the Martin 000C. I don't think this model is going to go down in history as one of Martin's best creations, (it sounds a bit thin or tinny to me)...but I think it represents good value considering the price. It is fun to play, the workmanship on mine looks very good (although others have complained about this on the forums), and mine came from the factory set up pretty nicely. Not really comparable to my older Martin nylons, but again...it is not a terribly expensive instrument. I doubt if this will end up a keeper for me in the long run, but I am glad I bought it and will enjoy it for a while. I'm not sure if aging will help it or not (it doesn't seem to be helping me), but 50 or 60 years or more really seems to bring out the best in all the old Martin nylons. Steel stringers in search of a crossover instrument will probably like this and it will keep them from coming completely over to the "dark side" and joining is wide-neckers. To me, it is very comparable to the SNRE, STGNE models from the early 2000s (with slightly better electronics and slightly lesser aesthetics).

As for your grandson, I personally have way too many bad habits to advise you on how to help him. My style and technique make most "real guitar players and teachers" cringe. I have never had lessons (mainly because they want to change too much about how I play and I just play for enjoyment and what they want me to do would take the fun out of it to me). Having said that, get him started right by getting a good teacher and doing things right. It would be nice if I understood how to read music, name chords, etc. In other words, don't do what I do. Thanks for the nice comments. I appreciate it.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:12 PM

Lovely. I really enjoyed that video.... and then I found myself looking at your Godin.

I haven't had GAS for a while now
Oh well.

Cheers
Rod
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Rod,

The Godin ACS-SA and the Roland GR-55 (not in demo video) are way too much fun for people who like musical toys. Quite a combo for making some innovative music. Highly recommended. And the Godin is a great standalone nylon/electric without the synthesizer.

Chris
Old 02-27-2013, 09:14 PM

Chris
I'm sold

I bought a Godin Montreal a few months ago, and I'm very impressed with it. A lot!

Now I found that I have been searching the web for the last hour or so for an ACS-SA from dealers here in the UK. I just know I'm going to cave in and get one.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:17 PM

Great video and great playing of some wonderful tunes. What strings do you like best on these guitars?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 03-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Strings

For the old Martins, I use Oasis GPX Carbon (normal tension). In my opinion, they make a significant difference and really bring out the best in these old instruments...Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical