The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stutheit View Post
...It's amazing how the camera makes me nervous!
Hi Josiah...

One way to get over it is just hit Record and record till you get it right. Then trim away the spurious/extra footage.

I have done this with camera and audio recording. There are people who get nervous at the thought of it. But a couple 30 minute sessions in front of a camera or mic, and then a judicious editing session is liberating.

It's a matter of familiarity and being at ease with equipment, and the realization that a mistake doesn't ruin everything.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
Josiah,

I know what you mean about "1st takes". And I totally relate to being uncomfortable with that camera rolling! I can play a piece flawlessly in practice, and 5 minutes later feel like a beginner when I'm trying to record. I had the same problem (to lesser extent thankfully) when I was touring on the amateur tennis circuit. It does get better with time.

My patience wears thin too quickly if I have to reset the camera and repeat a tune more than a few times. The Flip battery is very short lived. I went ahead and bought a second battery, but rarely use it. Patience is a virtue that I have yet to learn

I think that natural light is best if you can be anywhere near a window. I tried artificial lights and it always looks just that.

I think you have a lot of talent and I can see great potential. You actually appear rather relaxed despite your concerns, so it will only get better. So stick with it and I look forward to more of your music.

--Bill
Bill, thanks for the encouragement. It's good to know my camera jitters are not a unique experience. I'll keep working at it.

Thanks!

Josiah
Old 10-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
and the realization that a mistake doesn't ruin everything.

You said it. I can be a bit of a perfectionist, which clearly isn't going to happen with recording music. Every time something "imperfect" happens when I hit record.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:56 PM

Default Another effort.

So, I tried another one tonight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ww1wCWIJiA

It has become clear to me that most of my recording will be happening at night without any opportunity for natural light. What are the alternatives to lighting my video?

Thanks again...

Josiah

Last edited by Stutheit; 10-16-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:47 PM

Hey everyone,

This thread has been very, very informative, and like the original poster, I'm thinking about trying to make better sounding videos. I have a very cheap Insignia (Best Buy brand) camera, which doesn't have an audio jack but does shoot in HD. I'm aware that I need a condenser mic, and I'm leaning toward the Blue Snowball, which a lot of people on here seem to use.

I'll be using a PC with Windows 8, and I've already downloaded Audacity (whatever that is, but I've heard I'm going to need it). Then I can do the syncing with Movie Maker.

Is this about it?

Also, one more thing, is the Blue Snowball compatible with Windows 8? I've heard it is, and I've heard it's not. If it's not, and someone can recommend a similar mic, it would be appreciated. Thanks!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD