The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
In defense of Skype lessons, they are not perfect but you do have a live interface with a live teacher in real time. If you cannot find the right teacher... I'm much happier with my Skype lessons from a Grammy award winning musician in Oregon!
For sure! I totally agree with this. In fact I was interviewed for the most recent issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine that has a piece about how to get the most out of Skype lessons. I'm not sure what they used of the conversation but I remember talking at length about the ability to study with somebody you admire from afar that you wouldn't otherwise have access to. For example last summer I did some Skype lessons with the violin teacher in Maine that I like a lot – that was pretty awesome. And I know I personally have many Skype students that are from overseas, or living areas that they have absolutely no access to a teacher in person... Skype is great. I don't think it's the best situation for beginner. But on the other end of the spectrum for more advanced players it can be really great. Another thing I mentioned in that interview was that I myself like the ability to talk to somebody at my length and really picked their brain more than anything. For example, I'm really curious exactly how they practice, how they prepare for a show, what their listening to these days...
Old 06-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Taking classes with teachers whose music and skills you admire and respect is, on one hand , a bit scary at first.

On the other hand are the teaching musicians capable of and eager to share their knowledge and enjoy seeing people achieve their goals.

The subliminal affirmation a student will get from that teacher's guidance and encouragement in a live setting cannot be equaled with skype or YouTube.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-07-2017, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
The subliminal affirmation a student will get from that teacher's guidance and encouragement in a live setting cannot be equaled with skype or YouTube.
Amen to that.

There is that moment when you both share a glance and think, "Yeah - that's it." This doesn't happen in a video and if it does happen on Skype, it certainly can't have the impact of a live session.

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write