The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Thomastik-Infeld John Pearse Folk strings !!!!

just put some Thomastik-Infeld John Pearse Folk strings on my Codoba GK Studio. I fell in love with them. they are as easy on the hands( 56 years young) as nylon but have a steel/nylon sound to them. also they are safe for nylon string guitars. keep in mind that this is a flamenco guitar. What say you?

check out my video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=fcuzOgt2E9U
Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

I dig 'em. Had them on a 1907 Martin 0-18 that has since moved on to another forum member. They are a great option for those who are seeking more of a steel-string sound out of a lighter braced guitar, but who do not want to jeopardize the structural integrity of the instrument. They're a bit pricey, but tended to last me a good while.
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22
Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 PM

Weird - I thought this was a typo at first. I don't understand why these two makers would team up. Both make strings of the highest quality - it's like having a Ford Chevrolet Mustvette.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 PM

They are a clever idea: strings that sound(ish) like steel (ish) but of the same tension as nylon strings - the trebles of a flexible steel rope core overwound with nylon tape are particularly innovative.

But to me they sound too much like steel strings to double for nylon on a classical guitar and not enough like steel strings to get the sound I want from an acoustic guitar. . .

. . . . and they are expensive!

But they do, to my mind, offer an interesting possibilty: with the materials (polymers, different metals etc) and technology available today, wouldn't it be possible to produce a set of strings with near similar diameters?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
Weird - I thought this was a typo at first. I don't understand why these two makers would team up. Both make strings of the highest quality - it's like having a Ford Chevrolet Mustvette.
I hope they stick together because I haven't seen any thing else like them!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:30 PM

Re branded Tomastiks
Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 AM

i used to have TI classic S series on one of my classical guitars for this alternative sound. I think that TI john Pearse strings have the same construction with S series but they are harder tension so they can be used on a steel string guitar.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:05 AM

double post sorry
Old 03-12-2013, 03:20 PM

These strings were discussed on this forum last year. There are even some links with sound samples:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=244255
Old 03-12-2013, 04:29 PM

Thomastik Spectrum (for steel string acoustics) are the best strings I've ever played. I'm anxious to try their classical strings on my Ramirez.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 PM

I wasnt impressed by The Thomastik nylon strings (N series ?) but the classic S series are amazing but far from the traditional classical sound.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:50 AM

I think that there is some confusion regarding these strings. The tension is low, like nylon, but they are not promoted as classical. They are finger style, (fingerpicking), folk strings. I have a 1917 Eugene Howard parlor that wears good, classical strings. I just put a set of the Thomastik PJ116 strings on my Taylor 812ce Deluxe 12 fret, (X braced), and they are very balanced and have surprisingly good sustain and volume. I only play fingerstyle, and the low tension makes barring a pleasure. Surprisingly, the guitar didn’t seem to lose anything. I did have to back the truss today off, but other than that, it was a seamless changeover. They are pricy compared to most other strings, but for my tired, 64 year old hands, it’s well worth it.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:33 AM

Hi everybody, I have the classical S rope kr116 on my Yamaha slg200N and my Camps M6S. I like them very much.
Here is a chart of comparison between those strings and the D'Addario Pro Artè that I use on my Alhambra.

Last edited by Cri75!; 02-04-2022 at 04:20 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical