The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Question classical guitar shapes

Why don't classical guitars come in a variety of body shapes like steel string guitars?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 PM

They do, you just have to order one. My classical guitar from PGC is very unique not only with the woods, but much smaller in size. I almost ordered a cutaway, but decided not to.

Their Nylon crossover guitars are a dream to play. Not as wide as a classical at the nut, and very comfortable to play.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 PM

Cool Classical guitar body shapes

Lisa is spot on...if you compare classical or even cross-over or hybrids, they come in several different body shapes.

Most all have a slotted peghead and use silk wound and nylons strings. Most all will have a sound hole although different manufacturers use difference sizes and put them in slightly different places.

I own a Martin 000C Nylon hybrid. It's a cutaway, but the sound hole is closer to the guitar's "waist" than other manufacturers. And only a few manufacturers attach a pick guard. Most, but not all, use open-gear tuning machines. My model has a radiused fretboard, and a true classical will have a wider neck with a flat fretboard. Most classical guitars will have a very fancy rosette, and only the more expensive models have elaborate bindings.

I like my model because the cutaway allows me to reach the upper register, but still retain an old fashion elongated body shape. Hope that helps.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 03-10-2013, 04:47 PM

I am surprised there isn't more variety in mass produced classicals. Maybe taking a cue from violins, which are all nearly identical.

The standard size is certainly not the only one that works. Here's one of mine, which is based on an old Torres. 25" scale, 11.3" lower bout width, 17" box length, old fashioned tie-block bridge, weighs about 1.8lbs I love it.

I built another of the same model out of engelmann and maple though, and it sounds pretty dull... lively woods are important on such a small box, I guess.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I play a pair of Breedlove nylon crossovers and "adore" them. Neither of my traditional classicals has been out of their cases in over a year since I bought the Breedloves. The two I'm talking about are the one on the right (Masterclass Bossa Nova) and the one laying on the table (import Passport).

At some point, I'm going to save up the cash and have the folks in the Breedlove Custom Shop build me a nylon twin to my steel string Voice CM (which is the "wacky" one shown in the middle). Now THAT would be an oddball classical shape!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 PM

Starobin alone has used many different shapes over the years:

http://youtu.be/OSF2XKiwwfY
http://youtu.be/GQf4Uf6YU_4
http://youtu.be/1555rgUP4uc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical