The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2007, 06:09 AM

Default Baby Taylor

I recently played a baby Taylor and was surprised at the sound for a small guitar. Does anyone have any thoughts on this guitar.
JPG
Old 09-20-2007, 06:24 AM

I was once at a bar's open mic and this guy got up on stage with what looked like a ukulele. Then he started playing it.... It sounded incredible! I think they are the best sounding travel guitars and I honestly think they sound better than a lot of full sized guitars. Wish I had one.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:55 AM

I actually think the "Little Martin" sounds better, which surprised me. I bought a LM but ended up taking it back because I found it too small to play (it just wasn't for me). Very cool little guitar though.

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 09-20-2007, 12:43 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

I own a Baby Taylor.
There are better similiar sized guitars outthere.

They feel and play like a toy guitar.
The tone is OK, but nothing to write home about.
I also own a Larrivee Parlor guitar. Much much better instrument. Plays and sounds like a real guitar. My Baby Taylor hasn't seen the light of day since I got the Larrivee.
If you can find one of the older satin finished versions used, they very much worth it.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM

I've owned two and really like them. I just changed out the TUSQ saddle & nut for bone and am very pleased. I also installed a K&K transducer so I can amplify it. I really like how easily it plays and at the time I purchased it- it sounded as good, if not better, than 90% of all the acoustic guitars in the room.

BTW- Jeff- I bet the Larrivee cost more than the Baby

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 PM

I've got one. Bought it to teach my daughter (6 years old) a little about the guitar. It's the perfect size for here, maybe just a little bit big, but it works well for that and is fun to sit around with.

I put extra lights on it which for me is too light and takes away some tone. I'd like it better with lights. I've even heard that the baby will support Medium strings, but I haven't tried it.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:20 PM

I had a baby taylor for a few months. played it and the martin side by side in the store for about an hour. ended up thinking they were about the same in sound and playability. Wanted it for travel. Honestly, I picked the taylor because the store have me an 'extra $20 off on the taylor. Spent the $20 on a flatpicking instructional video. Sold the taylor after a couple of months. Just could not keep the thing in tune (even for close enough jazz). Shopped for a used martin or seagull grand to try, and then my teacher gave me one of the little martins as a going away present (when he moved!). To me it is very functional for travel. I don't use it at home ever. Only take it out of the bag to make sure it is ok. I think I would feel the same way about most of the "travel" guitars in that price range. Think my favorite would have to be the Seagull Grand which is a few bucks more. I also have a Larrivee parlor. Bought it used at a very good price when a store took my seagull folk in trade. the price for the Larrivee was so low I new it would be a snap to get the money out of it because they are in such demand. It is a far superior guitar in every way - as it should be for what it cost.

hope that helps a little

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 09-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Was just curious about the Larrivee Parlor's price, so I did a quick net search- >$1xxx, depending on tone wood. Somehow it's not quite fair to even begin to compare it to a Baby bra.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 09-20-2007, 04:11 PM

I have owned a 1996 Baby Taylor since they were offered. It has the spruce top. It's a great guitar. I have it on loan to my seven year old nephew to begin his guitar playing journey. I recently purchased a mahogany Baby Taylor so that I could not be without one (an excuse to get another guitar). I find the Baby-M to be much more even toned (IMHO). The Babys are nice. True, there are other travel guitars on the market. It really is a matter of preference. If you are thinking about buying one, I would suggest you A-B a spruce topped Baby and a Baby-M in order to make a decision.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Default It's a "travel guitar"!

Some poeple, like me, really like 'em...
then you have some people who wish that the Taylor Baby was "more"....

It is what it is.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkydude50 View Post
Was just curious about the Larrivee Parlor's price, so I did a quick net search- >$1xxx, depending on tone wood. Somehow it's not quite fair to even begin to compare it to a Baby bra.
The original Larrivee Parlors sold for much less than what they are selling for now.
About 2 years ago, Larrivee decided to "upgrade" the Parlor by going to a gloss finish, inlaid logo, bone bridge and nut..slight upgrade on the tuners...and more than doubling the price!!

Same designs. Same woods. Basically just added a shiny finish.

I bought my Parlor used right around that time....the old non-gloss model. Cost me just a tad bit more than the Baby Taylor...new.

If you can find a used "old model" Larrivee Parlor, that is definately the way to go.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

I found the baby martin to have a better tone from my ears. But I did also find both too small to play.

I find most smaller guitars have a boxy sound. There will always be players who can make any guitar sing of course.

Stuart
Old 09-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Perennially Maladroit

I had a Baby Taylor for a number of years. Bought one for me & one for my brother in '96. I did take it with me on a number of trips and used it as the casual 'couch' guitar.

Tried to like it, but I wound up selling it after 10 years for just a little over what I originally paid for it (ebay).

I never could get it to stay in tune and was overall less than pleased with the sound of the thing and so it sat unplayed for a number of years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion