The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
The problem isn’t GC. It’s FEDEX.

If I sold you a guitar here in the classifieds and you told me it didn’t arrive and Wanted your money back. I would have checked with FEDEX to confirm delivery and that you weren’t trying to rip me off. If FEDEX said it was delivered too bad. Otherwise I’m out a guitar!
If you shipped the guitar without signature confirmation the money would be coming back.

I have received four fedex packages in the past two weeks that belonged at someone else’s house. Fortunately mine have arrived ok.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:51 PM

I don't dislike GC but I never buy anything from them. They are like the Walmart of musical products. I went in one of their stores years ago to look at guitars and basically got the bum's rush.

This thread tells you a lot about GC. Fed Ex has their share of the problem as well. Hopefully PayPal will come through. They have helped me out several times in the past.

Good luck to the OP.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:12 PM

There are two types of contracts that could apply when a buyer arranges to have something sent from a seller -- a destination contract or a shipment contract. Under a destination contract, the seller is responsible for getting the goods all the way into the buyer's hands. Under a shipment contract, the seller is responsible for getting the goods to the carrier -- FedEx, UPS, etc.

The vast majority of contracts to general consumers are shipment contracts. Apparently this also includes Guitar Center. It would be silly to stop doing business with Guitar Center simply because they use shipment contracts. You might as well stop doing business with any online retailer, because they're all going to use shipment contracts too.

I'm sorry OP had a bad experience, and it seems like GC (not to mention FedEx) could do a better job making him happy. I agree that OP should get his credit card company involved, just to prod GC into doing something.

However, say what you will about Guitar Center, but I've been shopping there for years, both in-store and online, and I can only think of one time where they screwed something up, and they made that right as soon as I raised the issue.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
Yep – I see they state it very clearly. They have no responsibility per their contract. They have the right to stipulate this, but that would steer me away from GC online ordering.
Fine, but GC apparently takes PayPal. What do PayPal’s terms obligate GC to? I suspect it is delivery of the product.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Fine, but GC apparently takes PayPal. What do PayPal’s terms obligate GC to? I suspect it is delivery of the product.
A third party that isn't the credit card was never a good idea. PayPal is in the business of ensuring that neither side feels screwed, and neither side wins. When nobody wins in Little Guy vs Big Guy, Big Guy wins.

Had the purchase been made with a cc and no middle man we wouldn't be having this thread. Therein has laid the problem for a long time now. Why does anyone think eBay got so big on the PayPal?

rct
Old 01-24-2018, 09:19 AM

PayPal and eBay terms are FOB destination. Any of us small time folk would require signature confirmation to be protected as a seller, otherwise, they'd likely rule in the buyer's favor. We'll see if they hold GC to the same standard.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:50 AM

Certainly no offense intended for the op but when every credible musicians website has reported for many years GC's consistently negative reputation, why would you expect your experience to be any different than the norm?
Old 01-24-2018, 10:07 AM

I looked at a few online sites for a variety of products to see if they even state their shipping terms. Many either do not include it, or bury it in fine print to the point that I couldn’t find it.

It all comes down to the title transfer point - ownership of goods point. If the shipper stipulates FOB shipping point, it means the title or ownership of the goods being shipped transfers to the buyer when the carrier accepts the shipment.

If the shipper stipulates FOB destination, the title or ownership of goods transfers to the buyer when the goods are physically delivered to the buyer.

The problem is in the interpretation of proof of delivery. We all know there is a tremendous amount of UPS and FEDEX deliveries left on doorsteps and in front of garage doors etc. every day without a signature from the receiver. This seems to work in the overwhelming majority of shipments.
I make sure any package of value is held at the terminal for signature at pickup. I also have many low value items left on my doorstep because I don’t want to drive to the terminal for them. Between porch pirates and items delivered to the wrong address, it is a gamble. I recently had a fight with UPS on a high value shipment that was damaged. After two months of back and forth, with UPS falling back on their go-to excuse of poor packaging having caused the damage, the shipper stepped up and took responsibility, even though the packaging was sufficient. This is what GC should do for the $50 worth of goods that started this thread.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:22 PM

GC shipped it via FedEX.
Now the ball is in FedEx's court.
If GC does a favor and refunds you, that'd be a favor, not a business.

FedEx should pay for it or GC should force FedEx to pay for it.

Now from the customer's point,
Doesn't matter who was the carrier, I want my stuff delivered to me so it goes back to seller.

Doesn't FedEx have insurance up to $100 by default?
That should have come into play even for the correctly delivered items that are stolen from the porch or door.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:23 PM

Not to distract from the original post, I feel like adding my recent experience may interest some of you. I stopped in GC recently for some strings(elixers). While there, I also grabbed two packs of Dunlop primetones (6 picks).

I was a little surprised when the young cashier told me the total was $35. But I thought maybe I just had expensive taste.

So halfway into the transaction, he says his register froze up and we would need to finish the transaction on another register (has me swipe the card again).
I immediately pull out my phone and check my mobile bank statement. And, as suspected, I was double charged. So, while still at the register I show the cashier my phone and bank statement and ask for a refund.

He tells me he can't do it...needs manager approval...blah,blah,blah,
Call us tomorrow and the manager will straighten it out.

Long story short, two weeks have passed. I've spoken with four different people who can't help me (one of whom told me there was no record of any transaction with me in months insinuating that I was making the whole thing up) and no one has done the right thing and just refunded my money.

So, as it stands, my last purchase at Guitar Center was one set of strings and six picks for the price of $70.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmarco2 View Post
Not to distract from the original post, I feel like adding my recent experience may interest some of you. I stopped in GC recently for some strings(elixers). While there, I also grabbed two packs of Dunlop primetones (6 picks).

I was a little surprised when the young cashier told me the total was $35. But I thought maybe I just had expensive taste.

So halfway into the transaction, he says his register froze up and we would need to finish the transaction on another register (has me swipe the card again).
I immediately pull out my phone and check my mobile bank statement. And, as suspected, I was double charged. So, while still at the register I show the cashier my phone and bank statement and ask for a refund.

He tells me he can't do it...needs manager approval...blah,blah,blah,
Call us tomorrow and the manager will straighten it out.

Long story short, two weeks have passed. I've spoken with four different people who can't help me (one of whom told me there was no record of any transaction with me in months insinuating that I was making the whole thing up) and no one has done the right thing and just refunded my money.

So, as it stands, my last purchase at Guitar Center was one set of strings and six picks for the price of $70.
You should get your bank working on this.
Also, GC lists 3-packs of Primetones at $4.95 & a set of Elixirs at $12.99, which works out to a total of $22.89 ... seems like even if you got your $35 back you'd still be getting ripped off.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Elixir/Electric-Guitar-Strings-with-NANOWEB-Coating-Medium-011-049-1274115035513.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXMP&utm_sour ce=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=%5BADL%5D%20%5 BNon-Brand%5D%20%5BPLA%5D%20%5BUS%5D%20%5BEnhanced%5D%2 0%5BShopping%5D%20-%20(Product%20Type%20-%20Brand)%20-%20MQ&utm_term=1100501462237&utm_content=Product%2 0Type%20-%20Brand&kwid=bingproductads-adid^8946016574-device^c-plaid^1100501462237-sku^1274115035513@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop/P...e.rrt1|ClickCP
Old 01-24-2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
Here's the link, it's down near the bottom of the page: http://www.guitarcenter.com/pages/shipping-taxes-title
Thanks, GBS. No thanks, Guitar Center ordering online, even with a credit card. Oh, I know the card company could help resolve an issue, but why do business with a company with "issues?" Customer service after the sale is one reason I like doing business with companies like Taylor Guitars. They're consistently tops!

Next question. Does Musicians Friend have the same policy? What about Sweetwater or other large dealers? What do small dealers do with things like this?

cotten
Old 01-24-2018, 11:36 PM

Musicians Friend is part of Guitar Center
Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 PM

That's why I have cameras everywhere. I singled out UPS for a "yeah we left it in the front door" lie.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
There are two issues at play here: legal considerations and business considerations. In the end, GC probably missed an opportunity to provide great customer service by replacing the item, but that's their choice, and the ramifications for that are different than potential legal ramifications.

I will say that I have had guitars shipped via FedEx, UPS, and USPS. FedEx is, by far, the absolute worst, and I wish dealers would reconsider using them. I had a guitar shipped to me last year that not one person I spoke with, including upper level management, could accurately locate. And that was not en route to my house, but to a Fed Ex facility.

There is a generalization that has been made a number of times in this thread. There are TWO FedEx divisions - FedEx and FedEx Home. I have never had a problem with FedEx and I doubt that most of you have either. FedEx Home is another division. FedEx Home is route based sub contractors that offers lower priced shipping services. Many retailers use their services based their shipping costs.

You should always pay with a credit card. If there is a delivery issue that is not easily corrected by the retailer contact your credit card company. They have the financial clout to fix customer service problems.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion