The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Default Hey Tony

Don't know if you have ever seen this post from Mugwumps Online.
Its about a old parlor Thornward.

Q: I have come across an old "Thornward" parlor sized guitar. Seems like real ivory binding LOTS of pearl and V shape to the neck. I know they were made for Montgomery Ward but have no idea when. AM
A: M-W was a retailer, they didn't make anything. Probable maker was Harmony who went into business in 1892 to make instruments labeled for others to sell. I have seen some very fancy Thornwards, but generally the pearl work lacks subtlety, large pieces, geometric patterns, wide pieces in the purfling. Vine inlays could be purchased precut and pre-inlayed.

I also think yours was made by Harmony, hope this helps you get closer to the truth of who actually made it.ship

Q:
Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
Don't know if you have ever seen this post from Mugwumps Online.
Its about a old parlor Thornward.

Q: I have come across an old "Thornward" parlor sized guitar. Seems like real ivory binding LOTS of pearl and V shape to the neck. I know they were made for Montgomery Ward but have no idea when. AM
A: M-W was a retailer, they didn't make anything. Probable maker was Harmony who went into business in 1892 to make instruments labeled for others to sell. I have seen some very fancy Thornwards, but generally the pearl work lacks subtlety, large pieces, geometric patterns, wide pieces in the purfling. Vine inlays could be purchased precut and pre-inlayed.

I also think yours was made by Harmony, hope this helps you get closer to the truth of who actually made it.ship

Q:
That was the first thing I noticed in the picture, how white the binding was. Plastic binding would have been much more yellow by now.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 03-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Wink

i may have read the OP wrong but i don't think that picture posted is of the actual guitar-but i'm wrong every day on a lot of things.............just ask my wife(lol)

d
Old 03-24-2011, 07:43 PM

It looks like a Lyon and Healy Washburn I had a while back (same binding and fingerboard inlays). Really nice guitar, loud and resonant, cool v neck. I sold it to pay some bills and have been kicking myself ever since. Grab that guitar from the flea market guy and dont look back.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:49 PM

Very close match! But notice how they swapped the 10th and 12th fret markers. Not a ton of consistency in those old parlors.

BTW, the whiteness in the binding is a characteristic of the celluloid they used back then. Stays bright white forever.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 PM

thats no the actual guitar, i posted that becouse it looked like it the actual guitar is a bit differnt and has many cracks rapaired
Old 03-24-2011, 08:05 PM

opps wrong thread.

Last edited by sniggings; 03-24-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 PM

So did you buy it yet?

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 PM

Notice 10th fret or 9th fret marker I think 9th came in the 20'S
Old 03-24-2011, 11:04 PM

no i decided not to buy it i am saving for a new guitar
Old 03-25-2011, 08:26 AM

Default Okay Gitnoob

Hey Gitnood the refrence material that I use is mostly from some old republished catalogues and from the very best refrence book called the Washburn Prewar Instrument styles by Hubert Pleijsier published by Centerstream Publishing to which 500 were distributed I have 356 anbd it is a signed copy.
He discovered that after buying an old Lyon&Healy there was very little information around anymore after their two fires so he garnered info from all over and pictures and gave us a great refrence point. To which he included a lot of information that helps to either confirm and specualte that it is or isn't part of the Washburn family.
And we also know that it is doubtful that Washburn made ( if any ) custom guitars for anybody during that time as they tended to sell from their advertising catalogues ( to which they used very succesfully ).
And K.O. I do believe that it was during the ( late 28's ) 30's when they moved ther fret markers during the Regal time from the 10 the fret to the 9th and during the Lyon&Healy and Stewart time most of their guitars had 18 or 19 frets ( there were a few exceptions to this ) and when Regal became involved they switched over to 20 frets.
Hope this helps some.ship

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion