The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-14-2024, 05:28 PM

Default Bourgeois OM- Need Help

So I saw a used Bourgeois OM for sale at the local big box store. I am not a Bourgeois fanatic but I can tell that this is an an older (aka made in Maine and NOT a Touchstone OM made between Eastman and Bourgeois. The serial number is 000081. It appears to be Indian rosewood back and sides, and a Sitka spruce top...the fretboard appears to be rosewood not ebony but not sure. The headstock is NOT the typical Martin type head stock but the other type that resembles a "triangle".

In any event, the guitar had a repaired professionally seam crack running from the bridge to the lower bout. The guitar sounded amazing. I believe the guitar is from 1995 based on some quick searches on line.

Questions for Bourgeois owners and are knowledgeable persis this from 1994 based on the serial number? Woods used? What would have been the initial cost of this?

Here is a video of me playing it:

https://youtu.be/ri8TxabgVLA?si=7MmzlInbIzJzmhzA

And here is me A'b ing it against my Martin CEO7

https://youtu.be/A9tOvIOVxBY
Old 04-14-2024, 05:49 PM

A few thoughts for you. My JOM is serial # 000032 and is from 1993 if that helps with your approximate dating. '93 was the first year of the Bourgeois line.

I've been told from Bourgeois that Dana did all or nearly all the work in those early days. It's unlikely that the top is Adirondack, most likely Sitka. Indian rosewood is a solid bet.
My guitar also has a rosewood fretboard and bridge .....I think somewhat common in those days from what I can tell.

The early headstock design was known as a "snakehead" design. Not sure how long this was used, but you see them all the time on these early models.

Hope that helps. Very nice playing!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-14-2024, 05:58 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

These are the serial numbers for 1994 from his website.

1994: 000071-000205

Looks like it is from '94. You can always email them from the website and include a pic and I bet they will get back with you about the build specs and original pricing (if they have the records).

Great playing! And the guitar sounds really good.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
These are the serial numbers for 1994 from his website.

1994: 000071-000205

Looks like it is from '94. You can always email them from the website and include a pic and I bet they will get back with you about the build specs and original pricing (if they have the records).

Great playing! And the guitar sounds really good.
Thank you. I wrote them.amd gave them some specifics about the guitar and I saw the serial number range for 1994. The other thing I forgot to mention is that the top is not gloss it's a real nice buffed "satin" finish. Any idea of what the value of it should be? Or what they went for new?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell