The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 09:53 AM

I have an old d28 and love it. Just got a Huss and Dalton TDM that has a massive sound. Significantly bigger than the Martin with mahogany and Sitka. I'd like to try a TDR with a torrefied Adi top. I've played a handful of Brazilian guitars and don't hear much difference from eir but since we are talking dream guitars, sure. Let's make it Brazilian from a log found submerged for 100 years at the bottom of the lake:-)
1990s Hirade K5
1996 Ibanez AG600e
2000s Eastman E10D
2009 Breedlove American 000 MM
2007 Breedlove DR Deluxe Custom
2010s Eastman E10OM SB
Old 07-01-2017, 10:08 AM

I have read many times in this forum that a D35 is the guitar to get if you are looking for a good sounding dreadnought. I am not particularly fond of the 3-piece back, but, if it contributes to the sound in some way, then why not? Maybe there are other items in the specs. that make this a particularly good sounding guitar.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
I have read many times in this forum that a D35 is the guitar to get if you are looking for a good sounding dreadnought. I am not particularly fond of the 3-piece back, but, if it contributes to the sound in some way, then why not? Maybe there are other items in the specs. that make this a particularly good sounding guitar.
Hi George,

I own an old Martin D-35 from 1967 with sitka top and BRW back and sides. My understanding is that the 3-piece back is not what gives the D-35 it's characteristic sound. Rather, I believe that the lighter 1/4" non-scalloped bracing (which adds bass) and the slightly thinner top thickness (which adds treble) are what make the difference in sound compared to a D-28 of that era.

My YouTube channel has several examples of this D-35 in action if you are curious.

- Glenn
Old 07-01-2017, 10:16 AM

Ok, changed my mind. If I had a lot of dough, I might get a Doolin. If I had even more money, I'd ask for a brand new one.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Default What is your dream Dreadnought configuration?

Flatpick/strummer:
D-45 Madi/Adi VTS, '38 bracing/trim, '61 Fender 1-5/8" neck profile

Fingerstyle:
D-30S "Authentic" (1919 should-have-been), 1-11/16" low-oval neck
Old 07-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Guest 1928

You'll be hard pressed to find what I'd consider fitting for $5,000 if you must have BRW. There are some BRW D's for less out there, but not in anything I'd consider a "dream". My recommendation if other rosewoods, including IRW, are acceptable, and with a Martin-esque sound and are somewhat readily available are guitars from Martin, Merrill, and Hooper.

Martin of course would include recent Authentics as well as D-28 Marquis and HD-28LSV variations. The Authentic necks are all more rounded than V-shaped. The Marquis and LSV will have more V, but perhaps the wider neck will be more comfortable than your HD-28V?

If V necks are completely out, the consider the CS-Bluegrass-16. It is a limited edition, but I think you'll still find one or two. Very strong sounding guitar with a more modern feeling neck.

Any Merrill or Hooper ought to do the trick if you find one in your price range.

I'd also suggest considering mahogany. If that is on the table, it broadens your options in Merrill, Hooper, and Martin, and opens up the Pre*War Guitars Company Model D. This company is relatively new, but the owners have been around for a while. They are building fantastic guitars.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I'm thinking a 25" to full scale 13 fret slope dread, lutz top, walnut back and sides... Off the rack give me a Martin HD-28 and I'd be very happy....

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-01-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

I think the forward shifted, scalloped bracing of the HD-28V would be a winner -- it is for me -- though I understand that the OP couldn't cope with the neck.

One option would be a Martin Custom Shop HD-28V with a neck profile that works for you.

My Favorite Guitars has a D-28 Marquis for your budget built with a low-oval neck and the same forward shifted, scalloped bracing as the HD-28V: https://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/Ma...8-Marquis.html

The Martin D-42 has forward shifted scalloped bracing and used ones tend to go for about $5K. For example: https://reverb.com/item/3457121-mart...-display-model

- Glenn
Old 07-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Default KFP55

To KP55 -
I had a Martin '37 Authentic.
Tonally one of the better dreads I have heard. Sold it for $4400.
I now have a Collings D2HG. This is THE ONE!
The German Spruce top makes a huge difference. Very articulate. Best note separation and note clarity I have had the pleasure to hear.
The caveat to this conversation is the tone/sound are individual. One may sound great to someone and just OK to someone else.
That's the beauty of music and instruments!
Old 07-01-2017, 12:09 PM

All the brands/models mentioned are going to sound fantastic.
It's really up to your personal preference.

You did say you love the Martin sound and had a couple D-28s that didn't quite cut it for you, and you don't want lots of bling.

But you didn't say whether you tried the D-28 Auth with VTS Adi over Madi.
I grabbed a new one for $5,200 and ... Poof! ... no more GAS.
40% below MSRP (not MAP) is easy to negotiate; just call around.

Be sure to try one before deciding, though you will have to scrape the bottom of your piggy bank for that extra $200.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Curmudgeon

D-18S (12 fret slothead) with narrower nut (1 11/16" or 1 3/4") and no more than 2 1/4" at the bridge.

If I'm being really picky, Maple binding with no purfling and a maple bound sound hole (no rosette).
Old 07-01-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I own an old Martin D-35 from 1967 with sitka top and BRW back and sides. My understanding is that the 3-piece back is not what gives the D-35 it's characteristic sound. Rather, I believe that the lighter 1/4" non-scalloped bracing (which adds bass) and the slightly thinner top thickness (which adds treble) are what make the difference in sound compared to a D-28 of that era.

My YouTube channel has several examples of this D-35 in action if you are curious.
You are very fortunate to have this guitar. I read on your YouTube channel that the guitar was given to you, at age 21, by your father. There must be an interesting story leading up to this event?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
dreadnought