The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-24-2014, 11:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

I really appreciate the input from you guys. So far it seems the Redwood top is winning the race. Either way, I come out ahead, because I've got an extra top prepared for a future guitar!
I'm letting this project sit still for a few days, while I bring the other guitar, the short scale Zephyr, up to the same point. I'll introduce you to that one tomorrow. Ciao for now!
Old 05-25-2014, 12:43 AM

Hi Steve, wow really love watching this build. That EP is going to look phenomenal! I vote for the Flamed Sinker! Not only strikng visually, but I believe it will be tonally also. Really love the Malaysian back and inlays. Are you going to be adding a sound port.
2014 Charis SJ Florentine Cutaway(Sinker/Braz)
2015 Martin Custom OMDBH (Adi/Koa)
2017 Razo #20 Florentine Cutaway (German/Madagascar)
Old 05-25-2014, 12:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixter View Post
Hi Steve, wow really love watching this build. That EP is going to look phenomenal! I vote for the Flamed Sinker! Not only strikng visually, but I believe it will be tonally also. Really love the Malaysian back and inlays. Are you going to be adding a sound port.
Hey, Boyd, how's it goin'? All good?
I am porting this guitar- the new design I'm calling the tri-port, on the lower bout hip, just south of the waist. This photo doesn't show the detail very well, but there's a red veneer line accent between the inner and outer sides. The ports have chamfered edges. I got this idea from an Italian sports car.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hey, Boyd, how's it goin'? All good?
I am porting this guitar- the new design I'm calling the tri-port, on the lower bout hip, just south of the waist. This photo doesn't show the detail very well, but there's a red veneer line accent between the inner and outer sides. The ports have chamfered edges. I got this idea from an Italian sports car.

Its been going great my friend! Loving my EP! I really love your Tri port design can't wait to hear this one!
2014 Charis SJ Florentine Cutaway(Sinker/Braz)
2015 Martin Custom OMDBH (Adi/Koa)
2017 Razo #20 Florentine Cutaway (German/Madagascar)
Old 05-25-2014, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Hen! I was just thinking about you today! I hope you are well, and life is good. We miss you around here.
Yeah, I think I know which one you'd pick. I recall making a Consort for you, with a wildly flamed Sinker top that you sent me. Ever since then, I've had a fondness for exotics like this.
Hey Steve,

You got it...in fact I'm thinking that flamed sinker redwood A1 would look great with the Koa you're holding for me . Btw...did I send you a top with that Koa set? Gettin old and forgetful...can't recall what I sent to you for my other build
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 05-25-2014, 07:30 AM

I think they both look great, but like Mike I have a malaysian blackwood over carpathian Stehr and love the combination. I also am not sure how I would like the koa trim and bevel with the sinker. Just my .02 but I'm sure both in the final combination will look great.

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 05-25-2014, 10:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnuuhiwa View Post
Hey Steve,

You got it...in fact I'm thinking that flamed sinker redwood A1 would look great with the Koa you're holding for me . Btw...did I send you a top with that Koa set? Gettin old and forgetful...can't recall what I sent to you for my other build
Hen, I have your woods all together in one box, safely out of the way. Three Koa B&S, and three Sinker tops, as I recall. Any time you want me to pull them out of storage and get something started, let me know!
Old 05-25-2014, 11:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

And now, it's time to introduce the second guitar in this double-build thread. This one is a Zephyr, my 00-size model. I'm building this one on commission for a good friend, who already owns a 2010 Siren. He prefers to remain anonymous here, but he has asked me to convey that this build is "for Lenny". Lenny was my client's Father, who was a professional concert pianist and teacher, a wonderful father, who passed away at far too young an age in 1978. So we are referring to this build as "Lenny's Zephyr".
This guitar model is on the smaller side, equivalent to the Martin or Gibson 00, but it is still capable of putting out a big, three-dimensional sound. This particular one is a special configuration- twelve frets-to-body, rather than the standard thirteen, and with a 23 inch scale length. I'm building it very lightly for maximum response, and with the shorter scale and the ergonomic features, it will be very easy to hold and play.
Lenny's Zephyr will also have a Ryan-style arm bevel and a rib bevel. We are planning on using some flamed Purpleheart for the bindings and trim; so this will be a very colorful guitar.
Here are a couple of beginning photos of the B/S & top woods chosen for this guitar. The back and sides are a gorgeous set of Indonesian Rosewood:

The top is Sinker Redwood- a mastergrade set I bought from Rick Mitchelletti at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival last year.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Joining the Indonesian Rosewood back plate:

This guitar, as with the majority of my guitars, has laminated sides, for extra stability, and to provide a rigid perimeter for the top and back plates. The top two pieces are the Indonesian RW- perfect match for the back. The bottom two are Claro Walnut, which I used for the inner sides. I recently resawed a couple matching billets of Claro, and came out with an extra set of sides. Perfect for this project!

I have had excellent success for the last couple years with an adapted side bending procedure. It goes like this: I use a silicon heating blanket in my shop-made bending jig. You notice there is no Fox-style hot box on this bender. No lightbulbs used for heat.
I thickness-sand both the inner and outer sides to 1/16" thickness. I bend both pieces together at the same time, with the silicon blanket on top, and the whole thing contained in spring-steel slats. Before bending, I use a spray bottle to lightly moisten the inside of the wood sandwich, and the topside (show face) wood. Very little moisture is used. The two side pieces are kept in perfect alignment with each other with a couple tape tabs along the edges.
Then, I fold a layer of Kraft paper over the side sandwich, get it positioned and set up in the bending jig, and turn on the heat. After it reaches about 280 degrees, I crank down the press screw (at the waist) about halfway. Then, I bend the upper and lower bouts around the form. Once they are secured, I finish cranking down the waist bend.
The whole thing takes about eight minutes. Then, the timer shuts off, and I let it cool to room temperature.

Bending the inner and outer sides together, and using very little moisture, I have been able to totally avoid rippling, cupping, warping or other distortion. Even with highly figured or slab-sawn woods, the sides come out of the bender nearly perfectly flat across the width.
And the inner and outer sides conform to each other perfectly, which makes the gluing operation very easy. I glue up the lamination with the sides in the body mold, using a dozen or so Jorgenson clamps (not pictured) and some cork-lined clamping cauls.
I've been using Gorilla glue for the side lamination, because it has the right amount of open working time, and it does a fine job of sticking the two layers permanently together. I would NOT use Gorilla glue for any other guitar assembly. But for side lams, it's ideal.
If you use this method, a word to the wise: Make sure you put a layer of wax paper between the body mold and the side pieces. Gorilla glue will foam out around the edges as it sets up, and could wind up gluing the sides into the mold in some places.
Old 05-25-2014, 01:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

And here are the sides, bent, laminated, and ready for the neck, end, and cutaway blocks. These sides have zero spring-back in them at this point. They conform exactly to the body mold. Which is another reason I like building with double-side construction. There is no tension built in; these sides stay put exactly, with no need to coerce or cajole them into position. Another thing I want to note is, on the butt end of the lower bout, where the sides come together, I make a lap joint with the inner and outer sides, just to add a little extra security there.

And here are the sides, with the blocks glued in, ready for radius sanding. Which I'm going to go do right now! Then I will be ready to make the arm and rib bevel blocks. Moving right along! More soon...

Old 05-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful woods, Steve. And incredibly nice of you to share the process!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-25-2014, 02:28 PM

Carpathian!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 08:36 PM

Steve, I'll be watching that Zephyr closely, as it has all of the features I'd have in my Koa/Sinker one. :-)
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 05-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Funny Hen...I'll be watching the EPS. Love the look of these and have been discussing a potential build with Steve. Sinker over Macassar, or some other magical wood that he suggests.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Humanist

Good deal....

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop