The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-04-2009, 03:42 PM

Default What's the point?

Seems like this section could be used for something else. Harmony Central has the "lesson loft" and it's excellent. We have open mic and the loading dock. Why the need for another off topic section?

If I wanted to attract more paid subscibers, a useful section would be a better selling point than Small Town AGF. Sorry but Small Town AGF disappeared when Taylor kicked us to the curb...
Old 05-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

most unpaid members don't even know about loading dock

i doubt the purpose of small down and docks are "selling points" to begin with

i see this as a place for off topic discussions in a smaller environment. people who participate in these discussions are usually forum old timers. it's a targeted audience.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 AM

Seems to me this section is generally unused and totally unnecessary regardless if you're a paying member or not.

$15 isn't much money and I'm not suggesting it deserves more than we get already. I'm suggesting we get rid of STAGF and introduce a more useful section. Small Town AGF is useless and the level of participation is proof.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:37 AM

I paid to support the forum because I like it. I wasnt attracted to it for our own little space here. A lesson loft sounds good, you could always start a thread with lessons. I could use some lessons! And I agree that this place doesnt get used alot. But it is a place for the paying members to use and how it's used is up to us. We could make it ours
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthumbs View Post
Seems like this section could be used for something else. Harmony Central has the "lesson loft" and it's excellent. We have open mic and the loading dock. Why the need for another off topic section?

If I wanted to attract more paid subscibers, a useful section would be a better selling point than Small Town AGF. Sorry but Small Town AGF disappeared when Taylor kicked us to the curb...
Are you suggesting that our dues would be better spent without the Smalltown AGF section? It's not like it's wasting any of our money.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 05-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Are you suggesting that our dues would be better spent without the Smalltown AGF section? It's not like it's wasting any of our money.
No. I'm suggesting that if there's going to be a second section within the paid area, why not have one that is useful? I paid dues to support the forum in general.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Thumbs up

I agree.
A lesson loft is an interesting idea! Let's give it a try. What should we call it on the AGF? How would you describe this section?

JR
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 PM

You could present it as Skills and Technique or something along those lines...
Old 05-14-2009, 11:41 AM

You know, the current Performing area used to be called something else and was more "lesson" oriented. Some time ago they changed the name and it became what it is today. I see it as a "look at me play" section.

I agree that a section that's more of a how-to-play, lesson, mentoring section would be good. I don't have a local instructor and it's nice to bounce things off others.

-wayne
Old 05-14-2009, 12:17 PM

How about "The Players Exchange"? Where lessons and technique can be shared and discussed. A place where tips, tricks, technique can be passed on to other players. I've always been told you never stop learning and this can be the area everyone from the lifelong player to the newbie can gather information. All in the spirit of doing what we all love to do.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:31 AM
some guy from NY

I like this subforum. It doesn't need to be busy and popular to have its value here. It ain't broke. Don't fix it.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM

If anyone wants to post a lesson or ask a playing question in Small Town, I don't think the mods will mind! Sometimes a smaller group is what is more comfortable for those types of exchanges.

Anyway, let's put it to the test and see how well it works for you. If anyone has a particular trick, tip, technique, or question....go for it!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 05-16-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthumbs View Post

Without the "Small Town AGF" section we'd have nowhere for threads like this one.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I even think a place to discuss techniques along with actual "lessons" would be nice. I've wanted to ask "how do you do that" and have had the same asked of me. So, it's a great idea, and truly STAGF is almost unused in comparison to any other section.

Great idea!

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 05-16-2009, 09:56 PM

I agree... this is a great idea. So who is ready to post the first lesson or tip, etc...

I guess I can start....

A guitar pick is that triangular plastic looking thing..... Now some one educate me on playing a guitar

Darrel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write