The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 AM

Default Taylor Saddle Replacement

Been thinking about a Colosi bone saddle for my NS72. Has anyone replaced the stock Taylor saddle with a bone saddle?

Mine is already showing wear and I think that a bone replacement would be a good idea.

Thanks,
Erik

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic
Old 05-04-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyofone View Post
Been thinking about a Colosi bone saddle for my NS72. Has anyone replaced the stock Taylor saddle with a bone saddle?

Mine is already showing wear and I think that a bone replacement would be a good idea.

Thanks,
Erik
I don't have any experience with nylon string guitars - only steel.

If your saddle is Tusq, I think you should try bone though. Does Taylor use Tusq on their nylon string guitars? I don't know.

IMO, Taylor should save the Tusq saddle for their entry level guitars and start putting bone saddles on all of their nicer guitars like yours.

The bone saddle will enhance the entire frequency range of your guitar and add clarity, body and definition to the bass, mids and treble.

The bone saddle doesn't just add bass or add treble or make your guitar brighter - what it does is make your guitar sound like the $2000 - 3000 guitar that it is.

I replaced the Tusq saddle on my '95 Taylor 512 and the guitar now sounds a lot more like a hand built custom guitar now. It not only sounds better acoustically, it sounds better plugged in. It does not sound brighter - it sounds deeper, warmer and clearer.

I replaced the saddle on Monday morning but kept the old strings on just so I wouldn't be fooling myself by hearing the sound of new strings instead of the change in tone brought about by replacing the Tusq with bone.

Yesterday I put new strings on it and I feel like I have a brand new guitar now. Everything about its tone improved. I could go into all kinds of descriptive words but the simple truth is that I stayed home all day and never left the house!

Except for the time I spent online raving to you folks about the improvement the bone saddle made to my guitar, I just played and played and played and played.

GBC

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 05-04-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyofone View Post

Thanks,
Erik
I put a Colosi bone saddle on my NS32 and didn't notice significant difference. I also took a fine back saw and cut it into six individual pieces to help isolate the strings from each other on the piezo.

Mike
Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 AM

Regarding bone on my NS72CE. I tried it and didn't like it. The sound was more balanced and consistent with the tusq. The high E inappropriate to me for some reason.

If you give it a go then let us know. I hardly think the subjective opinion of one person on one guitar is conclusive.

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Bought a bone saddle from Bob for my NS34 but haven't installed it. Bob suggested that it may not make a huge difference. I am interested to see how it works for you.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I put a Colossi bone saddle on a Godin Multiac. Had Bob custom copy the one that came with the guitar. Of all the bone saddles Bob's made for me, it's the one that didn't seem to make much of a difference. But I left it in there as it also didn't hurt the sound any either. Seems steel string guitars benefit most from the bone saddles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical