The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-25-2024, 05:03 PM

When I was serious to get fine acoustics, my goal was to save 10% of my monthly salary over 2 years.

Brondel, Franklin, Mustapick, Kinnaird, Wingert,
Merrill, Santa Cruz, Northwood, Lowden, Kenny Hill.
Retirement killed that off.

I only have 2 left.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:00 PM

In my limited experience, if you were to purchase a used/pre-owned guitar, you could still make contact with the builder for questions, examination of your instrument, or possibly some adjustments, or set-ups and create/maintain that relationship.
Builders I've worked with have been happy to do this and help in any way, despite your not being the original owner. They seem always to be interested in their guitars and how they're doing!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-27-2024, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwills57 View Post
Richard Meyrick. Looks to be making lovely instruments at your price point and design specifications.
I played one of his early parlours. which was gorgeous, but I was looking for something bigger. As I got more into acoustic playing after years of electric, I realised it was a steal and still regret not buying it.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Have a look at Lakestone!
Composite Acoustics GX Aura
Takamine TAN77
--------------------------------------------------
Old 02-23-2024, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Ralph Bown is a luthier of the first class.
Rory Dowling (Taran Guitars) is one of the best in the next generation after Ralph. He worked (works?) closely with guitarist Martin Simpson to refine his designs.
Tom Sands is another who is gaining recognition. He was an apprentice of Ervin Somogyi.
Rosie Heydenrych (Turnstone Guitars) builds with native woods. She is really up and coming.

I think that's a good start.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
Ralph Bown is a luthier of the first class.
Rory Dowling (Taran Guitars) is one of the best in the next generation after Ralph. He worked (works?) closely with guitarist Martin Simpson to refine his designs.
Tom Sands is another who is gaining recognition. He was an apprentice of Ervin Somogyi.
Rosie Heydenrych (Turnstone Guitars) builds with native woods. She is really up and coming.

I think that's a good start.
All excellent choices, but I think they will all be beyond the budget stated.
Old 02-29-2024, 02:54 PM

Sam McClaren's guitars are in your budget. https://mcclarenguitars.co.uk/guitars/ He studied with one of the greatest living classical guitar makers, Christopher Dean, and offers steel string, hybrid and classical models.

Jonny
Old 03-01-2024, 09:16 AM

I think it might be tough to get a hand-built instrument for under £3,000. Even some of the really good younger people are more than that these days - I am thinking about Swannell Guitars or Oska Burman Guitars, for example. There are others.

But there's hope! The secret is to look around for a young builder at the beginning of her/his journey, trying to get going, and selling one of their first instruments. In 2021 I bought a young luthier's 11th instrument for just over £2,000. They sell for £5,000 now. It might take some research and time, but it is possible. The previously mentioned Sam McClaren is one such possibility.

If you are going to commission one, be prepared to keep it simple - if you want fancy cutaways or special timbers, it is going to cost more.

If you can find someone near enough to visit during the build process, it will make it more special.

Good luck!
Peter
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps
Old 04-07-2024, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

While I have not seen one in the wood, I have been following some of the builds that Jake Menear has been doing on YouTube. They look pretty fabulous, and come with a starting price just under £3k. He spent 7 years at Lowden….
https://www.jkmguitars.com

https://youtu.be/v6-skfZhdvE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop