The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2024, 10:02 PM

So...in a strange twist of karma, Guyker tuners are made in Korea, obviously slavish copies of Gotoh 510's that sell for 1/2 to 2/3rds the price of Gotoh 510's. Now (according to the Stratocaster forum), there are Chinese knockoffs of Guykers, for about 1/2 the price of Guykers. Guykers seem to be OK, based on what I've read. The Chinese copies are horrible, again, based on reading forums.

Wade's heard my sermon on "ratio" being THE criteria people mistakenly judge a new set of tuners. The IMPORTANT part of a tuner's goodness (or badness) is "lash". Lash is the freeplay between turning the tuner knob and the tuner shaft actually turning. This slack (or lack of precision) is the problem with many (if not most) cheap tuners.
I have Gotoh 510's (18:1) on 6 guitars. Unless one ponies up for the REALLY big boy tuners (Rogers/Alessi/Scheller (not Schaller)/etc) which usually start at $600-$700 a set, Gotoh is, IMO, the best of the "normal person" tuners.
In my experience, tuner wise, you get what you pay for the majority of the time.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 02-13-2024 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:21 AM

Jimmy wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
In my experience, tuner wise, you get what you pay for the majority of the time.
As with most things.

whm
Old 02-14-2024, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
@silverspear... you have a tuner affixed under the screws? I've never seen that! Is that tuner designed for that?

I finally found this one, maybe this is it... D'Addario NS Micro Clip-Free Tuner Black. It has just one screw hole. I thought yours was affixed with two screws but looking closer, maybe it is just one. Interesting, do you like it?

Yeah these are the D'addario micro tuners.. I love them so much that they are on all of my guitars,
Old 02-14-2024, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
Wade's heard my sermon on "ratio" being THE criteria people mistakenly judge a new set of tuners. The IMPORTANT part of a tuner's goodness (or badness) is "lash". Lash is the freeplay between turning the tuner knob and the tuner shaft actually turning. This slack (or lack of precision) is the problem with many (if not most) cheap tuners.
I have Gotoh 510's (18:1) on 6 guitars. Unless one ponies up for the REALLY big boy tuners (Rogers/Alessi/Scheller (not Schaller)/etc) which usually start at $600-$700 a set, Gotoh is, IMO, the best of the "normal person" tuners.

Yeah, strangely enough I find my old gotoh 381's suffer from LASH, (based on how you described it). I hated it, and kept wondering if the tuner buttons were loose.

however this Guyker tuners don't have any lash, so that really did surprise me!
Old 02-27-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
Yeah, strangely enough I find my old gotoh 381's suffer from LASH, (based on how you described it). I hated it, and kept wondering if the tuner buttons were loose.

I think Gotoh really upped their quality when they introduced the 510 series.
The Gotoh of today is very high quality. The Gotoh of the past...perhaps not so much.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 02-27-2024, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I just found them on Amazon.
At that price, worth giving a try. Plus, can't say I've ever seen the "oil-sheen" finish on guitar hardware. (outside of a heavy metal thrasher)
thanks for the link, and also to the OP for the review
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-27-2024, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post

All tuners will get LASH eventually, some sooner than others. That's why its important to "tune up" to pitch, and never down. Keeps the slack out, hopefully.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion