The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2024, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Suprise Martin 12-string purchase!

So, I've been in Nashville regularly for work (and other stuff) over the past several weeks. Made multiple visits to Gruhn's and played a significant number of interesting (some fabulous) guitars while there, what fun!

Anyways, they have a beautiful Taylor Buider's Series maple 12 string I'd been eyeing. I haven't had a 12 in at least 15 years. So, after some thought, I went back to the shop late Saturday afternoon with my second son (24 years old) and his wonderful girlfriend accompanying me. Neither of them play guitar, though he plays fiddle / violin and she does sing quite well. I was planning to buy the Taylor after ascertaining my wife would at least probably stay with me if I did so...

Long and short, I was playing the Taylor, and they commented "that's nice". Then my son handed me a Martin Jumbo 12 (a brand new "Grand J16e" model) and said "play this one". So I did, and all three of us were in disbelief. I don't know how to describe it, maybe "cathedral like" would be appropriate. I hung the [twice as expensive] Taylor back on the wall and bought the Martin. Granted, it is a basic guitar to look at, but my goodness it sounds and plays like a dream. What a great find!

Question - the salesman indicated they had only had the guitar a week or so. What do y'all think about removing the pickguard? Maybe just a little heat from a hair dryer and it should pop right off, right? I wouldn't mess with a higher end or vintage instrument, but I love the "clean" look of almost any guitar without one, and I play primarily fingerstyle (including on the 12).

Thoughts? Anyone else have one of these? Did I just get lucky with this one, or do they all tend to be this good?
Old 02-26-2024, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations!

This is the first review I've seen of that guitar anywhere, even though it's been out for a couple of years. Hopefully you'll tell us more about it as you get used to playing it.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I suspect you were looking at the Taylor 652ce, which is an interesting guitar with the octave strings reversed like a Rickenbacker. I got one used and flipped it because I didn't love it. I got a used Taylor 355, which is also a jumbo, and awesome. Congrats!
Old 02-26-2024, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromitspapa View Post
I suspect you were looking at the Taylor 652ce, which is an interesting guitar with the octave strings reversed like a Rickenbacker.
Yep, that is correct. I think I might have liked the so-called "reverse setup" as primarily a fingerstyle player, but after playing the Martin Jumbo (and a D-28 12 for that matter), it just felt like the Taylor was lacking so much, especially in the bottom end. It was beautiful to look at for sure, but there was simply no comparison relative to tone...
Old 02-26-2024, 04:33 PM

Congrats on the new guitar. You Tube fed me Black Crows She talks to Angels live at some festival. Guitar player was using a J body Martin (6 string). Sounded absolutely fantastic.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architectx View Post
Yep, that is correct. I think I might have liked the so-called "reverse setup" as primarily a fingerstyle player, but after playing the Martin Jumbo (and a D-28 12 for that matter), it just felt like the Taylor was lacking so much, especially in the bottom end. It was beautiful to look at for sure, but there was simply no comparison relative to tone...
Yeah, I settled on the Martin HD-12-28 on my 12-string quest. I would have liked to try the J-16 12-string but couldn't find one anywhere in stock since they are pretty new. They sound good on Youtube but it's hard to judge a 12-string without playing it in person.

I had previously owed the Yamaha LL16-12 (great sound but narrow nut and string spacing) and the Guild 512e (great sound but huge body and neck). I settled on the HD-12-28 because it had the comfortable body size and scale length of the Yamaha but the big sound and deep bass of the Guild. I'd imagine the J-16 is probably similar.

Regarding the reverse setup, I have mine with the small string first for E, A, and D, and then the big string first for the G string. I had to widen the nut slot and flip the G strings when I got it. Works great for fingerstyle (thumb on lower three, index on G) and is fine with a pick too.

Personally, I wouldn't remove the pickguard. It's not to my taste and I'd be worried about scratching up the top (unless I only played fingerstyle with no pinky-planting, I guess).

Here's a quick mock-up using the picture off of Martin's website, if that helps visualize it. I've found the best way to remove a pickguard is with a hair dryer, "thin tape" dental floss. Warm it up, slide the floss behind the pickguard, work it down while keeping it warm. Clean up excess glue with naptha (ligther fluid).

Old 02-26-2024, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on a great find! A fine sounding 12-string is a beautiful thing. (IMHO, I like it better with the pick guard on that big top.)
Old 02-26-2024, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on the new Martin 12-string, Trey!

- Glenn
Old 02-27-2024, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the feedback (and the quick mock up photo).

Another question - given the jumbo shape, but with the depth of a 000 on this particular guitar, can anyone recommend a decent hardshell case that won't break the bank? Just not sure I trust the "soft case" that Martin ships with it...
Old 02-27-2024, 09:15 AM

Probably a hard case for the M series (M36 etc) or maybe the GPC series (GPC-28 etc).

All the dimensions are here. https://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_by_body_size

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion