The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Default Discouraged from playing

I'm discouraged from playing lead lines higher up the neck as my action is too high. It's encouraging me to play cowboy chords and halting my learning somewhat.

I've done all i can with the relief but my concern is that if i lower the saddle then i void the warranty...
I'm sure this has happened to some of you already; what's the solution?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 AM

Sounds like you should take your guitar to a local tech or luthier and have it adjusted.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:33 AM

"It's encouraging me to play cowboy chords."

Hey, I've made a career out of THAT!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Humanist

Lowering a saddle will have no effect on any warranty, and having a well-qualified tech look over your guitar is the only way you will be able to get any knowledge about the structural condition of your guitar.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutehole View Post
I'm discouraged from playing lead lines higher up the neck as my action is too high. It's encouraging me to play cowboy chords and halting my learning somewhat.

I've done all i can with the relief but my concern is that if i lower the saddle then i void the warranty...
I'm sure this has happened to some of you already; what's the solution?
for me,i would go to a quality shop/luthier,mention what you just said,and see if there is a feasible setup for your particular instrument($)...lower action higher up while not comprimising the nut chords(buzz)...and maybe a switch one level lighter guage strings..fwiw...as an aside i did just that with my washburn.The luthier actually discouraged me from putting the money into the instrument saying its not worth it(about 150$) compared to the original value ...fret dress,reglue and set one brace,maybe neck set...he advised me,since i play slide to use it dedicated for that...it does beautiful blues slide...but maybe one day,if i have extra coin...
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM

Yeah, get a set up. Even the cheapest guitar can be made easier to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM

I had this problem on my Alvarez.... took it to a local tech. Turns out the neck was slightly bowed - he straightened it out for me. Now it plays like a dream...

Alvarez AD-410 "Tranquilidad"

Ibanez M522SBS F-style mandolin

My Soundcloud Profile

My Bandcamp Profile

Behind the Feather Curtain (personal blog)
Old 04-09-2012, 03:28 PM

Yes by all means take your guitar to a reputable tech or luthier for a setup.
It's well worth the money and you will enjoy playing your guitar much more.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:36 PM

In general i have never been impressed with a brand new guitar. the set-up has never suited me at all. in fact the only guitar i own that has never made its way to a tech was a second hand one that was just right.

I took my first brand new classical guitar to a tech for a set-up (i do this now for just about every guitar i buy regardless). Said guitar sounded mint except for a slight buzz. Tech guy took one look at it and said the neck was a horror story. at the time i knew nothing about the build of guitars. Thankfully i was within my 45 day return. From that day onwards anything i have owned goes to a tech. For the simple fact that if im gonna put down my hard earned cash for a guitar i want to know that everything is in order. As this usually only costs me under $70 i consider it a bargain.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:45 PM

What they said ... or start playing Bluegrass ...
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Nut, saddle, frets, strings are all wearable items not covered by warranty. Changing them have no effect on warranty.

Romans 5:6-8
Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Go to a high end tech specializing in ACOUSTIC guitars! There are shops who have people who are competent to adjust electric guitars, but who really don't know their way around acoustic guitars. In other words, don't take it to your friendly local (insert your choice of big box stores) unless you have good references of someone you know, who knows their acoustic guitars, who personally will refer you to a particular tech at that store. And that is probably a good ref to get where ever you plan to go, unless you already know a guy.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Best advice I got off this forum, except for the let the guitar sing to you bit, was having my action set up for me. Couldn't make barre chords from the first fret. Second and on were fine. Got the action set and I can play barre chords now after three months of learning decently. Find a luthier. You will be so happy. I might send mine holiday cards from now on.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:50 PM

I paid good money for a setup a few years back and it made no difference at all. The action was still crappy and there was no difference. I lost faith in setups. Waste of money. Figure that they are great for guitars that are waaaay out of whack. For most adjustments, ie. seasonal changes a turn of the truss rod seems to work.

I know this against all the principles of luthiers. But one of Torontos most acclaimed luthiers who services tons of big name bands, did the job for me. What a waste of money and time. 2 weeks and 80 bucks for sweet piss all.

Pick your tech carefully. I have avoided all setups since then. And havent had a problem. I am going to try a setup again with a couple of my guitars. This forum has convinced me that it is not a waste of time.

Actually I had setups done twice. There was ZERO difference in playability in both cases. Both guitars came back with generous action that stifled my lead playing for years, I sold the guitars and got one that was gtg out of the box.

I dont think most setups do squat. I will report back after my next 2. I am sure logically, it should help. But given what the OP said, I think a better guitar is the answer.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 PM

you can file down the nut and sand down the saddle if adjusting the truss rod does no good..it's an overall easy fix, it's better to have someone do it so that if they file the parts to small they can be replaced at the shop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion