The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-12-2021, 04:56 PM

Default Anybody come up with melodies in their dreams?

I've done it a few times. Even sounded good after I woke up. I guess the brain is an interesting thing.

My dad has solved engineering problems in his sleep.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I have made up good sounding music in my head as I was dreaming, then woke up remembering the music.

I have been practicing engineering for 51 years and have solved many mechanical design problems in my dreams. I have awakened at 3 am with a solution in my head for a problem I had been fighting for 10 years. I have over 20 US patents and at least a half dozen of those came to me in my sleep. I think it shows how hard I had been thinking about those particular problems.

Speaking of Northeastern Indiana where you live, I graduated from Purdue U. back in 1970.

- Glenn
Old 02-13-2021, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Yes, I have made up good sounding music in my head as I was dreaming, then woke up remembering the music.

I have been practicing engineering for 51 years and have solved many mechanical design problems in my dreams. I have awakened at 3 am with a solution in my head for a problem I had been fighting for 10 years. I have over 20 US patents and at least a half dozen of those came to me in my sleep. I think it shows how hard I had been thinking about those particular problems.

Speaking of Northeastern Indiana where you live, I graduated from Purdue U. back in 1970.

- Glenn
Fascinating! Impressive Glenn!

Purdue is about an hour and and half away. Outstanding engineering and agriculture school.

To be clear my dad is not a full fledged engineer (just combat engineers before becoming a Greet Beret) but loves to solve problems and come up with devices around the home as I do. I've come up with a few DIY fish culture systems. Unfortunately my mother has health issues and he doesn't have much time for anything like that anymore. They live on my property and my wife and I do as much as we can to help.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

All the best to you and your parents Cecil. I'm glad they are nearby so you can watch out for them.

Be well!

- Glenn
Old 02-14-2021, 07:40 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I come up with various work solutions in my sleep including mic'ing methods, arrangements, musical ideas, etc.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-14-2021, 09:37 AM

I've had dreams where I was playing guitar / writing a great song. And then I wake up in the middle of night, do nothing, and then it's gone in the morning.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've had dreams where I was playing guitar / writing a great song. And then I wake up in the middle of night, do nothing, and then it's gone in the morning.
YES, this happens to me.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
I've done it a few times. Even sounded good after I woke up. I guess the brain is an interesting thing.

My dad has solved engineering problems in his sleep.
The subconscious never sleeps.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
All the best to you and your parents Cecil. I'm glad they are nearby so you can watch out for them.

Be well!

- Glenn
Thank you Glenn. It can be a challenge at many of us know. Getting old can be hell.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write