The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 11:49 PM

So what's the experience of the silk & bronze strings on OM/GA-sized guitars? I understand they're round-core strings with slightly higher tension than other silk strings.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Iím fond of the contact core brights. They have always sounded good to my ears. And I do not think the sound all that terribly bright.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
It's funny - through most of the '80s & '90s GHS Boomers & Nickel Rockers were my choice for my electrics. I never really explored their acoustic strings. I may have to give them a try.
Ditto. I've used them on electric for some time, but not yet on acoustic
Old 01-14-2018, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Huge fan here! I really like the entire range of GHS acoustic strings.

2002 Martin D-15 - Shawnee
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
2016 Taylor 120e Mahogany Top Prototype
2013 Simon & Patrick Showcase Mahogany
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 01-14-2018, 05:34 AM

First thing I noticed when I tried them originally is how LOUD they are. The combination of my D-18VMS, GHS Tru Medium gauge PB strings, and a 4mm flatpick is the original Hillbilly Boom Box.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
It's funny - through most of the '80s & '90s GHS Boomers & Nickel Rockers were my choice for my electrics. I never really explored their acoustic strings. I may have to give them a try.
This was me too. Thanks for the reminder. I will check out the acoustic strings. Every time I recall seeing them they've been in the "Clearance" bin, which made me a little wary.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:11 AM

When I started out in the '70's GHS was my string. I used to seem to enjoy breaking a lot of G and high E strings. I would replace them as I went and of course ended up with a ton of incomplete sets. So I would buy a new set for a proper string change when the time came. I never had the heart to throw out my old mismatched strings and I have them to this day. I have a lot of low E and A strings hanging around. I will explore EBay and try to move them. They are 'Vintage' strings so the price just went up. (!) I think my next string purchase will be GHS so that will bring me back full circle. Funny how one decides to 'explore' new options and forget about your first friend!

Last edited by Jobe; 01-14-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:42 AM

I have only tried one kind of GHS in recent years and liked them a lot at first but didn't find that they held up particularly well (maybe just too used to Elixer...). Not sure which kind they were, but guessing PB.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:26 PM

Default Laurence Juber Signature

I just finished a test of the Laurence Juber Signature .12 (light), also with an optional .56 E.

To me the strings sound tinny (OM with Spruce over Honduran Rosewood) and I did not like the sound at all. Will never buy those again.

BTW, typically the difference between different brands is mostly in the wound strings. In this case even the unwound strings sounded very different compared to other brands -- to my ears although a sound I do not strive for...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion