The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2012, 02:26 PM

You may be right but my HD28 sure looks good.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:30 PM

Russ, I think you and I need to discuss this man to man with a couple of guitars and a bunch of beers.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:46 PM

Most of the time all it takes is a wipedown with a damp cloth. I have a half-dozen soft cotton cloth diapers that I've been using for a decade or more. About once a year or so, however, I will clean with a dab of Meguiars #2, fine cut cleaner, and then polish with a dab of #7 Showcar Glaze. My guitars seldom get skanky enough that I need Naptha.

I use it because a number of both luthiers and repair techs who I know recommend it.

TW
Old 02-18-2012, 06:45 PM

The fine folks at Santa Cruz appear to differ in their opinion ...

"Santa Cruz Guitar Company Fine Instrument Wax: In our endless quest for the best products to enhance, protect, and maintain your prized Santa Cruz guitar we have developed a premium wax specifically for SCGC's nitro cellulose lacquer finish. The formula has no additives such as silicone that could harm your finish. It contains some proprietary elements in very high quality Carnauba wax that will protect and enhance your lacquer finish."

original music: http://vicderobertis.com
Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic@leftiesonly View Post
The fine folks at Santa Cruz appear to differ in their opinion ...

"Santa Cruz Guitar Company Fine Instrument Wax: In our endless quest for the best products to enhance, protect, and maintain your prized Santa Cruz guitar we have developed a premium wax specifically for SCGC's nitro cellulose lacquer finish. The formula has no additives such as silicone that could harm your finish. It contains some proprietary elements in very high quality Carnauba wax that will protect and enhance your lacquer finish."

I'm glad SCgC specifically addresses the issue of silicone. If I was one of those who was a guitar waxer/polisher I'd check it out.
Martin and gibson also sell polishes/waxes.

Welcome to the world of marketing.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 02-18-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryboss1 View Post
Russ, I think you and I need to discuss this man to man with a couple of guitars and a bunch of beers.

Great idea!

I'll be on Lake Nipissing in August
Old 02-19-2012, 04:22 AM

Virtuoso...Simply the best.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

I've used Meguiers car products on my Ryan Cathedral with no problems (on UV finish). I asked the builder his advice and he said he's had no problems with it

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyplay View Post
Virtuoso...Simply the best.
I picked up the virtuoso at guitar center yesterday, my baby is shining like a new car.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 AM

Hello to all. I'm new here, but have been reading the discussions for quite a while. As a life-long wood worker and guitar hobbyist, it seems to me that anything non-abrasive is likely to be alright, and yes, that would include pretty much any cleaner/polisher IF the guitar has a gloss finish. Some of the low-end guitars these days (think low dollar martin) seem to be nearly raw. Satin finishes are a bit iffy since I can't tell by looking what shape their in. I've never owned a guitar that wasn't laquer finished. I'm pretty sure that I've got a book by some famous tech who proclaimed spit as the best cleaner. I also must wonder how often are you cleaning? I seem to average once a year at most. Lastly, when playing out anywhere I usually take a "beater" and it seems that the horrid appearance of an old D-16H (i think that's how you say it) has sparked many conversations; my current "baby" would be less likely to draw attention. Thanks for letting me chime in.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:14 AM

I use 3M Imperial hand glaze. It has no silicone or wax in it. Works great!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 AM

Saw on youtube a guy using a buffing wheel to shine up an old guitar... What are everyone's thoughts on that? Never tried it myself but do have a guitar that could use a restoration in some areas.

To keep them clean i use Dunlop 65 polish and cleaner, and dunlop 65 lemon oil on the bridge and fretboard once in a blue moon. 2 little bottles last for ever when used sparingly.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike81 View Post
Saw on youtube a guy using a buffing wheel to shine up an old guitar... What are everyone's thoughts on that?
It would be fine if that's your full time job. without all that experience you'll ruin the guitar in under a minute!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
As a life-long wood worker and guitar hobbyist, it seems to me that anything non-abrasive is likely to be alright, and yes, that would include pretty much any cleaner/polisher IF the guitar has a gloss finish.
You are ignoring the issue of any silcone in the polish or not.

IF you have a nitrocellulose finish and use a product containing silicone, you have just ruined any future attempts at repair finish, should it ever become necessary.

Do not use silicone on nitro finish!

There is little need to use wax/polish at all and certainly not on a regular basis.

Polish your car, not your guitar (unless you play in the rain a lot).
Old 02-19-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post
To all you folks who like to douse your guitars in all these potions, consider this...

You can have a clean and shiny guitar by just using a damp cloth and a soft polishing cloth (like an old T shirt) So why would you use anything else?

I'm sure I won't convince anyone to stop using your chemical baths, but you also won't convince me to start using any sauces on my guitars
Same here m8 also wouldnt use such when not needed at all i feel

Once in a while i do use a touch of Almond Oil on my guitars fretboard
just before changing strings approx once every 6 mths

but nothing else on my guitars body apart from just a light rub and wipe over with a baby wipe.
once in a while

Now for what you all use on your guitars fretboards . next

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion