The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 PM

I was going to ask on the Lets Talk Guild forum. But there doesn't seem to be much interest in the GAD's there.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
I was going to ask on the Lets Talk Guild forum. But there doesn't seem to be much interest in the GAD's there.
That's one of the places where there's...um....(cough)...discussion.....about whether or not the GAD series should even wear the Guild name. As I said, I'll leave that for others to hash out.

I've not looked into the history of the GADs or what they are based on. From what I understand Guild designed the guitars, set up the factory in China and trained the workers there. (Be warned, I might be half-remembering something - or remembering it incorrectly).

From Wikipedia: (for whatever Wikipedia is worth - shrug)

Quote:
Also in the early 2000s, FMIC created a new line of Guild acoustic guitars called the GAD-series, which stands for "Guild Acoustic Design." As with the other import lines, these guitars are based on past and present Guild acoustic guitar designs, but are built in China. All of these models are designated with a 'GAD' as a model prefix. These guitars feature poly finishes (as opposed to traditional nitrocellulose lacquer on USA models) and nondescript wood grading. Interestingly, FMIC did not choose to create this line under a different brand name, but left it as a new series of guitars from Guild. This choice has caused confusion, as it marks the first time that an import has actually donned the Guild brand name, which had previously only been used to describe USA-made guitars. Because of this, it is no longer immediately clear if a Guild-branded guitar is a US-made model or an import, although the GAD models usually have unique ornamentation. The current product portfolio of GAD-series guitars is larger than Guild's US-built Traditional Series.

The 2011 GAD models have been updated with new features, looks, and model numbers. These new GAD-series Guild guitars can now also be identified with a number 1 as the first number in the model number. For example, a US-built F-50R's GAD-level copy would be called an F-150R. Similarly, a US-built F-512 would be an F-1512 as a GAD copy.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:30 PM

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 PM

If the Guild purist on the "Lets Talk Guild" forums don't think the GAD guitars deserve the Guild name, then all I can say is that those USA Guilds must be some phenomenal guitars. I've played quite a few and admit to being impressed.
But after playing my GAD 50 quite a bit today, I'm highly impressed w/it as well. I know there's a certain amount of "new factor" here. But I think I might like it better than my Martin D-28 as far as tone. And I never thought that could happen.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
If the Guild purist on the "Lets Talk Guild" forums don't think the GAD guitars deserve the Guild name, then all I can say is that those USA Guilds must be some phenomenal guitars. I've played quite a few and admit to being impressed.
But after playing my GAD 50 quite a bit today, I'm highly impressed w/it as well. I know there's a certain amount of "new factor" here. But I think I might like it better than my Martin D-28 as far as tone. And I never thought that could happen.
I'm very impressed with both my GADs, and I've had the GAD-50 for about five years now. There's still nothing below $2k that I've played that I like better, but I've not played an Eastman or a Blueridge. I've heard great things about both of those lines.

Some of the Guild purists are worried about resale value. They don't want to see the Guild name "cheapened", and I can understand their concern. If I had a wall full of American Guilds, and Guild suddenly introduced a line of Chinese guitars with the Guild name prominently displayed I'd likely have the same concern - at least to an extent.

Several of the people who believe that Guild should not have put the Guild name on the GADs are people whose opinions I respect.

I also have to say that the American Guilds ARE phenomenal guitars. I played a D40 Bluegrass Jubilee, a D50 and a F47RCE that were just amazing. I'd trade every guitar I own for any one of them.

Well, maybe I'd keep the GAD G212.

Personally, I don't know if Guild did the right thing or not by putting their name on the headstock. I do know that the GAD line are very nice guitars and I don't care if the headstock on my GAD 50 said "Boogers, Inc". I'd still love the darned thing.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:30 AM

I don't understand how people would see the brand being cheapened just because there is line if guitars being built in china. It's quite obvious that the guitar was made in china by looking at the label. Many other premium us brands have guitars built in the far east and Mexico, but that hadn't lowered the value of the us built ones has it? Fender Mexican and far east models are very good, but the us made ones will always be the ones people aspire to.
If anything I would have thought it would strengthen the brand, because it's giving the opportunity for more people to own the brand that may have not considered it before. I now know that I can get my hands on a great quality guitar with good history at a good price, that I don't have to be overly worried about, but when I can afford to move up to a us model, I know that the quality should be even better than the Chinese one, and therefore I'd be prepared to pay that bit more for it.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:25 AM

USA vs. Chinese built aside. I wanted a Guild because I like Guild tone. And IMO I got it in spades w/my GAD 50. I think the Chinese did a great job.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:14 AM

I wonder if Guild opened a production facility in Sweden and priced their guitars reflecting higher labour cost, would Guild purists view these higher priced guitars as being better than USA made.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc View Post
I wonder if Guild opened a production facility in Sweden and priced their guitars reflecting higher labour cost, would Guild purists view these higher priced guitars as being better than USA made.
It's an interesting thing. Kind of similar in one sense. Yet in another different in another to the old Harley Davidson vs. Japanese motorcycles argument.
Have the Japanese bikes hurt Harley values? Not that I've noticed. But they likely have hurt sales. A quality, similar product at a lessor price is always appealing to those who cannot afford the real thing.
But Guild (actually Fender I guess) took it to the next level. It's the same thing. Same designs, same types of woods. Just made cheaper in China. And therefore more affordable here. And Guild still gets the sales!
Actually it's even more like the USA vs. Mexican Fender guitar thing. (Imagine that!). I've owned both. And the difference in extra $ or better quality for a USA Strat isn't clear to me. Except possibly in the electronics (pickups).
This guitar settles the Chinese vs. American argument for me. When I was shopping for a Martin last spring, I was highly impressed w/the Eastman equivalent. But bought the Martin mostly on name loyalty. With perhaps a little sense of "It CAN'T be quite as good". But this changes everything. I've been shopping for a Guild for several months now. I traveled to OKC to the only Okla. Guild dealer. I've played several used Guilds. This Chinese is IMO as good as the best USA Guild I've sampled. And better than some. And it says GUILD on the headstock. It's a WIN-WIN IMO. The Chinese are kicking butt.

Last edited by Fatstrat; 01-07-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrockin View Post
If anything I would have thought it would strengthen the brand, because it's giving the opportunity for more people to own the brand that may have not considered it before. I now know that I can get my hands on a great quality guitar with good history at a good price, that I don't have to be overly worried about, but when I can afford to move up to a us model, I know that the quality should be even better than the Chinese one, and therefore I'd be prepared to pay that bit more for it.
This is my take on it as well.

But - honestly - I don't know if I'm even qualified to have an opinion. Many of the guys I've seen who remarked on the subject were VERY experienced players who had been playing Guilds for decades. I've only got about five years back into it.

Heck, on this very board there are luthiers who have forgotten more than I'll ever know about acoustic guitars, and players so talented and accomplished that I sincerely wish I had a teaspoonful of their ability.

Truth be told, I'd never even heard of Guild before I started researching "what would be a good inexpensive acoustic to learn on". The GAD series (and at the time the Epiphones Masterbilt series) was mentioned quite a bit, so I gave it a look. I'd hazard to say that I know more today than I did then, but just how qualified an opinion is it?

I have no idea. I only know what I like, and I have a very hard time describing why I like it. Some things are hard for me to put into words, if you take my meaning.

I do know this: I've played Martins, Gibsons, Taylors and Breedloves (the usual GC stable). Of those that I've tried, there are darned few that I like better than my GAD guitars. I've played a Gallagher that I dearly loved. I can say that I have lusted after nearly every Guild I've laid my hands on.

As far as Chinese vs. American Guilds go, I figure everyone has a right to his/her opinion. I do know I can't see ditching my GAD-50 for another guitar simply because it was made in Connecticut, Montana, California or somewhere else in the US.

Since I generally buy used (financial constraints), I certainly don't hurt the American guitar industry by buying a used Chinese guitar. If I was buying a brand-spankin' new guitar, I'd likely try to purchase an American-made one - simply because I like keeping my money as local as possible.

'tis a weakness of mine.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Message deleted. Wrong place.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM

I've been playing 40+ years. And while I don't consider myself an expert, I know what I like. And that's all that really matters.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:46 PM

While I respect there are people on here that are much more experienced than me, and have access to much higher quality guitars than me, I can't see how any of them can say a guitar is better because of the country it's made in. If a factory has the same grade of woods and materials, the same plans, the same training in building guitars, but one has cheaper production costs due to lower wages and utilities, does that make one better than the other? What's to say that the Chinese guy building his guitars hasnt got more patience and a better eye for detail than his American counterpart. If mr chan was to move to the us and get a job with a factory there, would his quality of work suddenly improve?
Like a few others have said above, I know what I like, I know the sound I'm after and the Chinese guild has it. I tried many other guitars while comparing this one, including Taylor's, martins, gibsons and collings, and while some were better sounding and certainly better adorned with bling, some were no where near as good despite costing hundreds or even thousands more!
While I agree the Chinese guild isn't the best guitar there is, I fail to see how it could be drastically improved on, just by being built in a different country.
Dan
Old 01-07-2012, 02:16 PM

Guild is a great guitar. My main player is a Guild, and has been since I bought it back in 1985. For what it’s worth, my next guitar will be a GAD series Guild. They seem well built and to my ear sound outstanding. Congrats on the new GAD 50.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:25 PM

I thought my Guild GAD 30R was the best OM sized guitar I'd ever played..then, I bought my Eastman E10-OM.

Both very good good guitars and comparable to any guitar anywhere, regardless of country of origin.

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion