The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Default NGD Guild GAD 50 Natural.

And man is it SWEET! Everything I dreamed it would be. Took it almost 2 weeks in transit to get here over the double holidays. But arrived today. Got it back in case w/case humidifier now.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

HI FS,

Very cool! Great guitar -- glad you are happy!

- Glenn
Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Congratulations! That's a really sweet playing guitar!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Pictures, please.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Thanks guys. I've always loved Guild tone. Nearly if not equal to Martin tone. Not sure how that works as they are different. Had a Guild Jumbo once, but even though I loved the tone, hated the neck. I like the neck on this one! So how long to humidify a possibly dry guitar in case w/homemade soap dish humidifier? It was in transit for 2 weeks from Florida to Okla.

Last edited by Fatstrat; 01-05-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM

Let it aclimate on its own. I just received my Alvarez baritone on Tuesday. It came from Georgia, took about a week to get to me. Last night made a homemade humidifier (soap dish - sponge). It has been out with me twice now, just brought it in to work. It will take a few weeks for it to fully aclimate, take care of it, play it and enjoy it!
Congratulations!
Old 01-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Happy NGD, Fatstrat!

I have exactly that model as my six string - and I love it. Forget about all this "for the money" stuff, that's just a really nice guitar.

I've yet to find any (new) sub-$2k guitar I'd be willing to trade it for.

I know you're going to love it.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyX View Post
Happy NGD, Fatstrat!

I have exactly that model as my six string - and I love it. Forget about all this "for the money" stuff, that's just a really nice guitar.

I've yet to find any (new) sub-$2k guitar I'd be willing to trade it for.

I know you're going to love it.
Thanks. Love it so far. Can't believe the price I got it for. Can't find any defects or damage. Not even a speck of excess glue.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-GUILD-G...item1c2228662f
Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Congratulations, awesome guitar. I actually have two of them. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Guild GAD F150RCE
Guild D-25 (2003 Corona built)
Guild GAD-40ATB
Taylor 210E
Baby Taylor
Fender DG220SCE
Epiphone Masterbuilt AJ500R
Fender Blacktop Telecaster
Fender Stratocaster
Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Thanks. Love it so far. Can't believe the price I got it for. Can't find any defects or damage. Not even a speck of excess glue.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-GUILD-G...item1c2228662f
That's about what I paid for mine after shipping. I'm skeered of ebay, so I bought mine from a MusicGoRound up in PA (found it on their website). I couldn't find anything wrong with mine either. It must have been someone's closet queen.

It's a keeper, that's for sure. I might be willing to trade it for a D-40, D-50, or one of the boutique makers models, but that's about it. Awesome bang for the buck.

Again - Congrats.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 PM

Congrats! Got any pics?

The only Guild I've ever heard belonged to a buddy of mine, he would strum that thing so hard, like he was trying to rip the strings off, and it always sounded great. The harder he strummed it the better it sounded.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Thanks guys. I've always loved Guild tone. Nearly if not equal to Martin tone. Not sure how that works as they are different. Had a Guild Jumbo once, but even though I loved the tone, hated the neck. I like the neck on this one! So how long to humidify a possibly dry guitar in case w/homemade soap dish humidifier? It was in transit for 2 weeks from Florida to Okla.
Congrats on the awesome guitar! I am super happy with mine I love how heavy it is. It feels heavy and it sound heavy yet clear. I like the Guild tone over the Martin tone if you compare Spruce/Rosewood Dreadnaughts of the two brands.

except for the tone my favorite thing about the GAD-50 is the neck! feels great doesn't it? I just wish it wasn't gloss finish. it feels weird to me after I've been playing for a longer period of time or if i play on stage and my hands are a little warmer than usual.

Wonder if I could maybe change the finish on the neck? Anyway great choice! I just know that guitar is going to keep you smiling for a long time!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 AM

i got a guild d125 last week, i believe its the new version of the GAD25.
its one of the best guitars ive played! i used to have a martin 00015 and this is easily as good as that, despite costing several hundred pounds less! the build quality is faultless, and the sound is just superb. the neck is a satin finish on mine and it feels so nice. the setup was spot on out the box for me too.
ive got to say chinese built guilds are extremely good guitars for the money.
if your not keen on the gloss finish on the neck, you could have a go with some very fine wire wool if your feeling brave! ive got an old early 80s tokai tele that had a gloss neck, but it was too sticky feeling for me, so i got lots of different grades of wire wool and spent an afternoon going down the grades til i got a very smooth but satin finish.
dan
Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM

So am I correct in thinking that the Guild GAD series is basically just Chinese made, same design/types of wood copies of the American made Guild guitars? And that basically the only difference is a real or imagined difference in Chinese vs. American manufacturing build quality?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM

Seems to be! The new 1 series have a nubone nut and saddle and plastic binding whereas the gad series have bone and wood. The wood on mine is well bookmatched, has a clean grain everywhere, no sloppy woodwork or glue inside. I haven't played a us model but I'd be hard pushed to see where the difference lies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion