The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Default CA guitar question

I heard that CA guitars do not have truss rods. Ok, I know that the neck will never move so in theory it does not need adjustment. But what if I dont like the stock action of one of there guitars. That dont make no sense to me. Is this true? Maybe Im being to picky but the fact that I am unable to customize the setup of my guitar kind of erks me.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 PM

Well first off, you don't use a truss rod to adjust action, you use it to adjust the amount of relief. And since carbon fiber guitars are so stable, a number of builders have decided to make their guitars without truss rods to make things simple. The amount of relief you get is an average level that suits most players.

As for action, you can adjust that all you want by altering the saddle and nut, even if there is no truss rod to adjust relief.

Some of the Rainsongs now come with adjustable truss rods, which is a good thing. But there are many many satisfied players of carbon fiber guitars without truss rods, so it does work - though perhaps not for you.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 AM

I have a pre-Peavey CA that I lower by sanding the saddle to a very low action. It is very easy to see what the relieve is on a guitar and see if that works for you. Peavey right now is intent on a low action so I doubt there will be an issue. I have a Rainsong as well with a truss rod, that is nice but it would not be a deal breaker for me if I like the guitar.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 AM

Probably 95% of guitarists can get by with a standard relief setting. Wood guitars need truss rods because you can't guarantee that the relief won't change over time. CF guitars don't need a truss rod because they won't change over time. As mentioned, there are plenty of adjustments that can be made at the nut and/or saddle to adjust action.

That being said, there are guitarists who really want to be able to tweak the relief and feel they need a truss rod. If you really want one, your CF choices are limited to some RainSong models and Emerald (I think you can get a truss rod in all of their models).
Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
Probably 95% of guitarists can get by with a standard relief setting. Wood guitars need truss rods because you can't guarantee that the relief won't change over time. CF guitars don't need a truss rod because they won't change over time. As mentioned, there are plenty of adjustments that can be made at the nut and/or saddle to adjust action.

That being said, there are guitarists who really want to be able to tweak the relief and feel they need a truss rod. If you really want one, your CF choices are limited to some RainSong models and Emerald (I think you can get a truss rod in all of their models).

Yes, Alistair will install a truss rod if you want one for about $200 last I checked.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 02-27-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
[/B][/COLOR]

Yes, Alistair will install a truss rod if you want one for about $200 last I checked.
This past summer, it was $100. I don't think it's $200 unless something has changed just recently.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
This past summer, it was $100. I don't think it's $200 unless something has changed just recently.
The great debate of truss rod versus not....as said earlier if they get it right for 95% of the guitarists without the truss rod they will probably be satisfied as to not putting it in at Peavey.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 02-29-2012, 04:17 PM

When I bought my first CA from Ted a few years ago I was concerned tha not having a truss rod would become a problem but it never was. As pointed out already you don't use the truss rod to set the action but too much relief can be a problem so if you are after a very low action suitable for fingerstyle and not much more than you will want the ability to adjust the truss rod. Rainsongs new N2 neck has an adjustable truss rod and I'm told it's been a huge hit.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:21 PM

i also think the 95% mark is closer for players who use standard gauge strings. if you use heavier or lighter strings, or detune, etc, then perhaps a truss rod is more important.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber