The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think it's a huge step for Teddy, there's no way he could make money with the amount of personal attention he provides. For customers, maybe, maybe not. It depends on if you like things custom and personalized, like in a hand-built guitar, where you can dial in something 100% for you, or prefer to just buy stuff that's mostly right for most people. The good thing is that I suspect you can still do either with the Dazzos.
What adhesive does a Dazzo system use to adhere to the bridge-plate? Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Ok, I just got back from Teddy's and here is the latest.

He has a new web site very close to being up and running.

Thanks Doug for the better communication. You stated the reality correctly.

His glue is very stinky. I'm sure he'd tell you what if you asked. it was gel like.

He is selling all he can make, and in process of getting someone to manufacture them for him.

Hot off the bench is a new pickup he calls the 70s, which I had put in my Guild D 35. They sound wonderful. They are getting raves from customers.

I have never felt the need for a dual source with Dazzo pickups. The RedEye works very well with these pickups.

Steve, I understand your concerns. I am indeed lucky to be 12 minutes away from the master.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-12-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Ok, I just got back from Teddy's and here is the latest.

He has a new web site very close to being up and running.

Thanks Doug for the better communication. You stated the reality correctly.

His glue is very stinky. I'm sure he'd tell you what if you asked. it was gel like.

He is selling all he can make, and in process of getting someone to manufacture them for him.

Hot off the bench is a new pickup he calls the 70s, which I had put in my Guild D 35. They sound wonderful. They are getting raves from customers.

I have never felt the need for a dual source with Dazzo pickups. The RedEye works very well with these pickups.

Steve, I understand your concerns. I am indeed lucky to be 12 minutes away from the master.
That's interesting, thanks for the info. If Teddy has a new way to install the pickups without experimentation and has also settled on the 70s, then that's a huge step in the right direction.

Question though, I know some people hate the super glue method for the pure mini install as it's a bit more permanent. It apparently also makes it somewhat impossible to install the Amulet M if the pure mini is removed. Is the glue that Teddy uses as permanent as super glue?
Old 10-12-2015, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I'm one of the people that uses the Dazzo in a dual source system with a DPA 4061. The Dazzo sounds good on its own, but I still prefer adding a microphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Question though, I know some people hate the super glue method for the pure mini install as it's a bit more permanent. It apparently also makes it somewhat impossible to install the Amulet M if the pure mini is removed. Is the glue that Teddy uses as permanent as super glue?
Based on the comment about it being stinky, I'm assuming he's still using plastic weld as the adhesive. A bit of acetone will take it off in a few minutes (same with the super glue).
I installed a Trance Amulet M in a friend's guitar last year and out of boredom tried the Trance tape with my Dazzo pickups. Worked great.

I'll have to give Teddy a call sometime. Curious about the new 70!
Old 10-12-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLuo View Post
I'm one of the people that uses the Dazzo in a dual source system with a DPA 4061. The Dazzo sounds good on its own, but I still prefer adding a microphone.

Based on the comment about it being stinky, I'm assuming he's still using plastic weld as the adhesive. A bit of acetone will take it off in a few minutes (same with the super glue).
I installed a Trance Amulet M in a friend's guitar last year and out of boredom tried the Trance tape with my Dazzo pickups. Worked great.

How did you like the Amulet M?
Old 10-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

He has not settled on the 70. It is just one more design. You can get the others depending on the amount of bass a particular guitar needs. The 70 just seems to be the one for a dread.

It is Teddy's nature to strive for a better pickup. That works both for and against him. People like consistency. Teddy's pickups are ever evolving, and he strives to make them better.

I'm going to put a Shure SM 81 in front of my Dazzo equipped guitar today and see what it's like.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
How did you like the Amulet M?
It sounded good. Nothing particularly noteworthy vs the Dazzo, and vice versa. Both sound good; tone is probably the last thing I would consider if choosing between the two. Both systems will sound fine given a good installation.
Both have tricky installations. They both also claim to have greatly simplified the installation to a quick and easy process, but let's be real: little shifts in position can make a huge difference in tone. What they're really going for with the easy installations is a "good enough" tone. The value of eliminating the nightmarish reputation of installing the pickups greatly outweighs the slight (to some) loss of tone.

Dual source configurations become more complicated with the Trance system due to the preamp. If you want to use the Trance preamp with say a magnetic pickup, you're then limited to only being able to use one of the Lenses. So if you want both Trance pickups and a mic or magnetic pickup, you'll be drilling two holes in your guitar.
The Dazzo doesn't use an internal preamp so it's not limited like the Trance in that way.

The creators of both pickups are great people. So for me, it really comes down to little details and compromises like the above. Do you value the convenience of a built-in battery powered preamp? etc. What I will say about how they sound is that they are both noticeably more realistic than the K&K. Does that matter? Probably not as much as we gear heads think. I find myself falling in the "good enough" camp these days.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:54 PM

What Brick said. I too know Teddy and both he and his pickups are the real deal, especially if you dig Neil Young's tone (Neil uses old Frap pups).
Old 10-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Please tell me how to do this. I once had a k and k and a DPA 4061 connected to a stereo end pin. But I had a pendulum SPS 1 supplying 48v phantom power for the mic. I no longer have that unit.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Please tell me how to do this. I once had a k and k and a DPA 4061 connected to a stereo end pin. But I had a pendulum SPS 1 supplying 48v phantom power for the mic. I no longer have that unit.
Same idea and wiring to the jack. I use a Raven Labs preamp which powers the mic. Something like the dtar Solstice would also work. You just need a preamp that provides 9v bias power to the ring (9v is sufficient for the 4061).
Old 10-12-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Same idea and wiring to the jack. I use a Raven Labs preamp which powers the mic. Something like the dtar Solstice would also work. You just need a preamp that provides 9v bias power to the ring (9v is sufficient for the 4061).
Got it, thanks.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-12-2015, 08:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to contact Teddy directly and get the right version for my guitars (had no idea there were options). I was planning on adding it to one of my Taylors that already has a Fishman UST & use my Solstice to mix the sources.

FWIW - before I was able to cover all my expenses with music projects I augmented my income with web development...so I tend to be picky about things like websites. I see a sloppy site & I wonder if I'll ever get the product or if they'll go out of business before my order ships. Thanks for the reassurance.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-17-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:

I think the 70s set is an improvement. If he could find a double-sided tape for the install like the TRANCE, that would be even better. He was recommending a 5 minute epoxy now as opposed to the Plastic Weld and now he's not so sure. A good install on some instruments can take a lot of time.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:37 PM

Just a followup. I spoke with Teddy a couple times today. He's really a great guy, very helpful & knowledgable.

Seems he makes different sets based on how much bass attenuation you need for your guitar. The numbers are the % of low end that comes through (100=100%, 70=70%). This is to counter an overly boomy guitar & still get a balanced (flat was the word he used) response.

I'm definitely getting a set (probably the 80s). We're just dealing with the specifics of the guitar I want to put them in.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-26-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Just a followup. I spoke with Teddy a couple times today. He's really a great guy, very helpful & knowledgable.

Seems he makes different sets based on how much bass attenuation you need for your guitar. The numbers are the % of low end that comes through (100=100%, 70=70%). This is to counter an overly boomy guitar & still get a balanced (flat was the word he used) response.

I'm definitely getting a set (probably the 80s). We're just dealing with the specifics of the guitar I want to put them in.
Thanks for the info. It's too bad he can't find a standard number though. Not only are the numbers a bit difficult to match to a guitar without really trying them first but I hear the installation is difficult.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification