The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-10-2015, 02:10 PM

Default Which Preamp for this guitar/pickup?

I just purchased a two year old Martin 000-28EC (Eric Clapton Signature Model) with a Fishman pickup already installed (not sure which model pickup).

I was all set to purchase a Red-Eye Twin but I wanted to run this by everyone first. This guitar/pickup has all kinds of bottom end - and not much on the high side. Straight into the amp I've got the lows cut and the mids and highs boosted quite a bit. I seem to read about the opposite problem most of the time.

I may eventually swap the Fishman for a K&K, but would prefer not to for a while if I can avoid that added expense.

Is the Red-Eye still the way to go?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:49 PM

It depends... Your Fishman pickup should already have a preamp built in unless it's a passive model. If it's passive the Red-Eye may be a good choice. If it's an active model pickup (likely) then it depends on why you want a preamp. If it's an active pickup, check your battery first. If you still need big EQ adjustments I would think the installation is sketchy, have someone check it out. If everything checks out then there are questions about why you need the preamp. Do you need EQ handy? (the Red-Eye won't help much there) Do you need other functions like a boost or mute switch, high/low pass filters, notch filters, ground lift, effects loop, or phase switch, etc.?? If you need some or all of that stuff, or more, the Red-Eye also won't be of much help, but there are lots of others that can.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification